Author Topic: Weekend Cheddar research  (Read 2386 times)

wharris

Weekend Cheddar research
« on: January 28, 2009, 04:43:28 PM »
I did some reading and some experiments this weekend in my basement cheese lab, I thought I would share my findings. After several days of testing, I found that the proteolysis of casein during cheese ripening was best studied by reverse-phase (RP)-HPLC peptide mapping. Cheddar cheese from two different batches were analysed during a 2 hour ripening period at 4° C and 10° C. The elution profile obtained from cheese extracts soluble at pH 4.6 contained more than 120 peaks. These were grouped into four ranges of molecular mass (I<3000 Da; II>30 000 Da; III>10 000 Da; IV>3000 Da) by RP-HPLC of cheese extracts fractionated by ultrafiltration at different molecular mass cutoffs. The peptide patterns, especially in the molecular mass range below 3000 Da, were clearly dependent on ripening time and temperature, manufacturing history, and composition of the cheese. Several short chain peptides with less than ten amino acid residues were isolated, sequenced for identification, and assigned to the corresponding amino acid sequences of s1-casein and-casein. The levels and ratios of these defined marker peptides seem to be well suited for in-depth characterisation of proteolysis and ripening of Cheddar cheese. This information is fundamental for studies on cheese origin, flavour, taste, and texture.

(lol - I'm just kidding: I found this mumbo-jumbo online while researching some cheddar pH values..... I don't understand it either....)

chilipepper

Re: Weekend Cheddar research
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »
Funny... I too was pondering the same, but questioned why reverse-phase (RP)-HPLC peptide mapping?  Why not forward-phase?  ;D

This is about like when John goes off and starts spouting something in French... very similar fog develops over my brain and I feel compelled to have a Martini?  Must be some subliminal connection!

Tea

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »
Oh dear, I read this post yesterday and thought "yeh what ever Wayne, if that flicks your switch".  I had no idea what you were saying  ???

Read it again this morning and finally saw your tiny writing down the bottom and feel most relieved.  I don't feel quite so dumb anymore  ::)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:20:47 AM »
Inspired by "In Living Color" toned down for the masses.

THe polymorphism of the situation can rectify the jestitued invoke by the prenatal infancy of the carterism, forwith the flatuation of pectoralanalysis is inturupted by the purponderance of mass digestitude. Thank you, that'll be all.

Wayne I actually understood what you wrote, I had it once in college, it's call Mono.

P.S. I'm actually reading a text book on cheesemaking, no Chili not that chemistry novel you told me about, but one I got from a college library called Cheese and Fermented Milk Foods. I don't know if it's in our boards library but I'll review it once I finished it. So far it's really informative and you know how hard I am to please. I just hope it keeps up the same level of intel.

saycheese

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »
 ??? ::) Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me, but I'm sure the serious cheesemaker will find it of interest (LOL).

wharris

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:00:21 AM »
Carter,  I have to imagine you swaying as you said that. with a bottle in a paper bag.
;)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:43:01 AM »
That's how I usually am.