Author Topic: Hande's Saint-Marcellin  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
Re: Hande's Saint-Marcellin
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 06:12:52 AM »
Yoav, yes my " Saint Marchellin" came out too thick  :)
Like i said very first post:" Everything going well, but not size. They came out too thick, so ripening wasn't perfect."
But anyway I had crazy idea for ripening box where mini fan pump air in box and that air it come out of cave with hose.

Hande

iratherfly

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
Ah yes, I missed that.  The next time just cut your wheels in half so they are in good proportion!

Regarding the fan - no, mini fan is too strong and will inhibit growth. You just want the air to be in constant motion - not to be a storm in a box. I have an awesome solution: Aquarium air pump! the pipes are on the bottom of the box so they also push all this collected moisture back into the air. Works very well. Cheap and reliable too. Also in pet shops, where you get these pumps, you can get all these accessories to split the hose and to throttle how much air flow you want on it. It's fantastic. (just make sure to get a strong enough pump if you want to do multiple hoses to multiple boxes)

Here's a photo

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »
Yoav, have you that air pump inside your cave ?
I mean that my idea is that pump get ready (90% Rh) good moist air to pump it box and
it goes outside my cave.
So I don't get "visitors" too much my other cheeses.
Now I use in my cave: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,8708.0.htm

Hande

iratherfly

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 08:20:18 AM »
Hmmm, that's not a bad solution, I am just afraid that the fan would create too much vortices. My pump is outside the cave too. The hose goes through the rubber seal of the wine refrigerator without harming the wine fridge or the hose, but keeping the door sealed well enough (creates a tiny gap but not significant enough to loose temp or moisture or get roaches in).

What I love about my solution is that I can decide which cheese box I apply it too and I don't have to circulate the same air through all of them. Realistically a cheese cave would hold one type of cheese, but when you have Tommes with wild rind, Reblochons and Camembert sty;es sharing the same cave, you want each one to promote its own growth separately as much as you can. The hose system allows you to do that. You can also remove the hose from a box or shut it off, or turn the amount of air in any hose up or down using these regulator valves/connectors/splitters that work like faucet.

Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10420/product.web
http://www.aquacave.com/multi-outlet-chrome-br-air-manifold-by-sunlight-br-supply-2298.html