Its taken me several Goudas, some which I threw out, to get to a recipe that is actually consistent. I have had several challenges, such as my induction stove causing bad PH readings, problems with cultures, and more. But with the help of some of you, I am happy to say that I am now able to hit all targets. One area of confusion for me was the PH targets being affected by the washes. I now read both whey and curd to understand where I need to be.
Here is what I did today.
- Started with 2 gallons of raw milk at PH of 6.57 (milk was collected on Friday and then the PH was at 6.67. Milk temperature at start was 42 degrees.
- Inoculated with Starter, at 42 degrees with culture made the night before with skim milk and MM100. Used 3 ounces of starter
- At 80 degrees added annato
- At 86 degrees PH was at 6.53
- Did not ripen the milk since I used starter culture and there was a PH drop already registers.
- Added 1.75 Mls of rennet (natural)
- Flocculation was calculated at 12 minutes
- Cut curd after 36 minutes from the introduction of rennet. PH was at 6.52
- Allow curd to heal for 5 minutes
- Stir very gently until PH was down to 6.48 (approx 22 minutes)
- Settle curds for 3 minutes
- Removed 10 cups of whey
- Added 5 cups of water at 130 degrees over the course of 7 minutes. Final temperature 92.7 and maintained there for 4 minutes
- At this point, the curd PH was at 6.50 but the whey PH went up a little bit to 6.55
- Added another 5 cups of hot water. Temp was ar 100.5 and heated externally to 102
- At this point, the curd PH 6.48 and whey ph was at 6.57
- Cooked for 41 minutes until curd PH was at 6.3
- Place mold inside boiler and placed all curds inside. Removed all but the last 2 inches of whey and pressed with 2 pounds. Waited until curd PH reached 6.23 (about 21 mins)
- Removed from mold and cut curds into about 2 inch squares
- Placed in mold, with cheese cloth, and pressed with 4 pounds for 30 minutes. PH was at 6.05 at end of this press.
- Turned cheese and notice rind was closing well. Pressed with 4 pounds for another 30 minutes. PH was now at 5.85
- Turned and redressed and pressed with 1.5 psi for 30 minutes. PH at end was 5.75
- Turned again and redressed. PSI now at 2.75 for another 30 minutes. PH was at 5.65
- Turned again and redressed. PSI at 3.75 for 30 minutes. PH was at 5.55
- Turned again and redressed. PSI at 5 until PH reached 5.40 (About 1.5 hours)
Looks pretty amazing. I am new to making cheese but this is pretty incredible. The cheese weighs 2.1 pounds and is waiting to cool to brine tomorrow.