Author Topic: First stable Gouda weekend  (Read 606 times)

Offline Con-queijo-dor

  • Medium Cheese
  • ***
  • Location: Wisconsin
  • Posts: 32
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
First stable Gouda weekend
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »

Its taken me several Goudas, some which I threw out, to get to a recipe that is actually consistent.  I have had several challenges, such as my induction stove causing bad PH readings, problems with cultures, and more.  But with the help of some of you, I am happy to say that I am now able to hit all targets.  One area of confusion for me was the PH targets being affected by the washes.  I now read both whey and curd to understand where I need to be.

Here is what I did today.

- Started with 2 gallons of raw milk at PH of 6.57 (milk was collected on Friday and then the PH was at 6.67.  Milk temperature at start was 42 degrees.
- Inoculated with Starter, at 42 degrees with culture made the night before with skim milk and MM100.  Used 3 ounces of starter
- At 80 degrees added annato
- At 86 degrees PH was at 6.53
- Did not ripen the milk since I used starter culture and there was a PH drop already registers.
- Added 1.75 Mls of rennet (natural)
- Flocculation was calculated at 12 minutes
- Cut curd after 36 minutes from the introduction of rennet.  PH was at 6.52
- Allow curd to heal for 5 minutes
- Stir very gently until PH was down to 6.48 (approx 22 minutes)
- Settle curds for 3 minutes
- Removed 10 cups of whey
- Added 5 cups of water at 130 degrees over the course of 7 minutes.  Final temperature 92.7 and maintained there for 4 minutes
    - At this point, the curd PH was at 6.50 but the whey PH went up a little bit to 6.55
-  Added another 5 cups of hot water.  Temp was ar 100.5 and heated externally to 102
    - At this point, the curd PH 6.48 and whey ph was at 6.57
- Cooked for 41 minutes until curd PH was at 6.3
- Place mold inside boiler and placed all curds inside.  Removed all but the last 2 inches of whey and pressed with 2 pounds.  Waited until curd PH reached 6.23 (about 21 mins)
- Removed from mold and cut curds into about 2 inch squares
- Placed in mold, with cheese cloth, and pressed with 4 pounds for 30 minutes.  PH was at 6.05 at end of this press.
- Turned cheese and notice rind was closing well.  Pressed with 4 pounds for another 30 minutes.  PH was now at 5.85
- Turned and redressed and pressed with 1.5 psi for 30 minutes.  PH at end was 5.75
- Turned again and redressed.  PSI now at 2.75 for another 30 minutes.  PH was at 5.65
- Turned again and redressed.  PSI at 3.75 for 30 minutes.  PH was at 5.55
- Turned again and redressed.  PSI at 5 until PH reached 5.40 (About 1.5 hours)

Looks pretty amazing.  I am new to making cheese but this is pretty incredible.  The cheese weighs 2.1 pounds and is waiting to cool to brine tomorrow.

Thanks everyone

Offline scasnerkay

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Sunnyvale, California
  • Posts: 715
  • Cheeses: 155
  • Default personal text
Re: First stable Gouda weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:20:53 PM »
Good job on figuring out the pH. I think gouda style is one of my favorite cheeses to make! Living in California, the pH of my water is pretty high, and so right after washing the curds, I no longer bother to read the pH because I know it will be high. On this make I tend to go more by how the curds feel, because the pH does not drop much until I have it in the press.
A cheese to you for your persistence!

Offline OzzieCheese

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Australia
  • Posts: 1,355
  • Cheeses: 153
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: First stable Gouda weekend
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 10:49:50 PM »
And I too... Thanks for the excellent make notes and I'm so jealous - Raw milk and it's all done from the natural bacteria in the milk - what a wonderful experience that must be..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !