First stable Gouda weekend

Started by johnr, May 03, 2015, 10:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnr

Hi

Its taken me several Goudas, some which I threw out, to get to a recipe that is actually consistent.  I have had several challenges, such as my induction stove causing bad PH readings, problems with cultures, and more.  But with the help of some of you, I am happy to say that I am now able to hit all targets.  One area of confusion for me was the PH targets being affected by the washes.  I now read both whey and curd to understand where I need to be.

Here is what I did today.

- Started with 2 gallons of raw milk at PH of 6.57 (milk was collected on Friday and then the PH was at 6.67.  Milk temperature at start was 42 degrees.
- Inoculated with Starter, at 42 degrees with culture made the night before with skim milk and MM100.  Used 3 ounces of starter
- At 80 degrees added annato
- At 86 degrees PH was at 6.53
- Did not ripen the milk since I used starter culture and there was a PH drop already registers.
- Added 1.75 Mls of rennet (natural)
- Flocculation was calculated at 12 minutes
- Cut curd after 36 minutes from the introduction of rennet.  PH was at 6.52
- Allow curd to heal for 5 minutes
- Stir very gently until PH was down to 6.48 (approx 22 minutes)
- Settle curds for 3 minutes
- Removed 10 cups of whey
- Added 5 cups of water at 130 degrees over the course of 7 minutes.  Final temperature 92.7 and maintained there for 4 minutes
    - At this point, the curd PH was at 6.50 but the whey PH went up a little bit to 6.55
-  Added another 5 cups of hot water.  Temp was ar 100.5 and heated externally to 102
    - At this point, the curd PH 6.48 and whey ph was at 6.57
- Cooked for 41 minutes until curd PH was at 6.3
- Place mold inside boiler and placed all curds inside.  Removed all but the last 2 inches of whey and pressed with 2 pounds.  Waited until curd PH reached 6.23 (about 21 mins)
- Removed from mold and cut curds into about 2 inch squares
- Placed in mold, with cheese cloth, and pressed with 4 pounds for 30 minutes.  PH was at 6.05 at end of this press.
- Turned cheese and notice rind was closing well.  Pressed with 4 pounds for another 30 minutes.  PH was now at 5.85
- Turned and redressed and pressed with 1.5 psi for 30 minutes.  PH at end was 5.75
- Turned again and redressed.  PSI now at 2.75 for another 30 minutes.  PH was at 5.65
- Turned again and redressed.  PSI at 3.75 for 30 minutes.  PH was at 5.55
- Turned again and redressed.  PSI at 5 until PH reached 5.40 (About 1.5 hours)

Looks pretty amazing.  I am new to making cheese but this is pretty incredible.  The cheese weighs 2.1 pounds and is waiting to cool to brine tomorrow.

Thanks everyone

scasnerkay

Good job on figuring out the pH. I think gouda style is one of my favorite cheeses to make! Living in California, the pH of my water is pretty high, and so right after washing the curds, I no longer bother to read the pH because I know it will be high. On this make I tend to go more by how the curds feel, because the pH does not drop much until I have it in the press.
A cheese to you for your persistence!
Susan

OzzieCheese

And I too... Thanks for the excellent make notes and I'm so jealous - Raw milk and it's all done from the natural bacteria in the milk - what a wonderful experience that must be..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !