Author Topic: My 3rd Gouda  (Read 13806 times)

anutcanfly

Re: My 3rd Gouda
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 02:10:48 AM »
I wait about 3 days between coats.  You do have to be careful that the cheese's rind is fully dry same as you would for wax, so you will want to wait a few weeks. 

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 11:45:53 PM »
Hey guys,

I have a Gouda that I made almost three weeks ago and I have been contemplating when to put it in the vacuum seal bag. It's been in the cave in temp and humidity to age and has lost weight. I just flipped it again today and noted that one side (the bottom) was still feeling wet to the touch. Based on your comments above I think I should let it wait some more in the cave. Right?

Thanks for the help!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »
3 weeks and it's still wet?

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »
Yes. One side - the bottom. It's sitting on a plastic cheese mat...

???

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 02:49:34 AM »
Keep turning it everyday

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »
I think I figured it out. The cheese "cave" I am using is a dorm fridge. Well, it has glass shelves and the plastic mat I was resting the cheese on was resting on top of the glass shelf. The residual moisture in the fridge was condensating on the glass and pooling under the cheese. Once I propper up the mat to be slightly above the shelf - thereby letting air circulate - AND wiped the shelf off, the "wet" cheese dried out...   ??? :-[

Anyway, I weighed it again today and it is at 2 lb 10 Oz. It is my nicest looking block of cheese and is starting to develop the white fuzzy kind of mold I see in pictures here regularly. Today marks three weeks since I made it and so it went into the vacuum bag. I will let it sit for another 6 weeks at least before tasting it. Can't wait!!!

A)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 03:22:50 AM »
oh that would do it!

JeffHamm

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »
Yes, condensation will fool you!  Sounds like you've got things under control now though.  I would try and stretch that cheese out to at least 3 months (12 weeks), and if you can stand it, go for 4 months.  Gouda really does need a bit of time to really shine.  Try making caerphilly as in six weeks you could be into your 2nd of those if you made one now and the ohter in 3 weeks!  Caerphilly is a great cheese in its own right, but it is also very helpful in aging other cheeses.

- Jeff

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »
12 weeks, JeffHamm   :(   :(   :-\   ...  well, I'll try. No promises though!   >:D

Caerphilly, eh? I've recently tasted a British Caerphilly (I think it was Welsh, actually) which tasted just like mushrooms. It was great!!! 

I am curious about your last remark though: "...it is also very helpful in aging other cheeses." Is that because it can be eaten much younger, so the temptation to eat the others is reduced? Or, did you have something else in mind?

JeffHamm

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 12:43:01 AM »
Hi MacGruff,

It helps by distraction, you can eat it while the others age.  So yes, it's a temptation reduction cheese.  It's also very good in my opinion.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 11:04:18 PM »
Hi,

Well, this is about 17 or so months old, so I thought I would remove the wax.  It's now at 1026 g, and despite air drying it a couple times, it was still wet under the wax.  All much cheeses are wet under the wax.  Anyway, will let this dry out.  Will probably get a taste tomorrow though.  Mmmmmmm, aged gouda (at least, I hope it's Mmmmmm! It's a long time to wait for a yuck! :) )

- Jeff

jwalker

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2013, 03:18:07 PM »
So? , it's now tomorrow , was it good?

I love aged Gouda , I have three aging right now , but they all kept getting mold under the wax , so I un-waxed them and re-coated with the cream coating and they seem to be OK now.

I hope to eat one at 6 months , one at 12 months , and one at 18 months.

I will start a few more in the meantime.

I wish I could taste yours right now , I am so envious , I haven't even been making cheese for 17 months!

Cheers , Jim.

CheeWilly

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »
I`m with jwalker, the suspense is killing me.  I have 2 goudas that are aging also.  I waxed both of them, they too developed mold under the wax so I pulled the wax, wiped off the mold with vinegar and salt, then coated with coconut oil per Tiarella based on the luck she has had.  One of the gouda`s was wet also on the bottom when the wax was pulled.  So they are both going to get flipped for some time daily.

JeffHamm

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »
Hi,

Sorry for the anticipa......................tion, but I shared this with friends at their place for supper.  Was a big hit.  Still very moist, and as you can see, the paste has some mechanical holes, etc.  Still, it has a very good flavour, sharp but creamy too.  I like it! :)

- Jeff

CheeWilly

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2013, 07:51:37 PM »
A cheese for the wait.  The gouda looks superb.  I just recently tried a hard gouda that was superb.  It was store bought, but the rind was chewy in a good way and the cheese was sharp and tasty.  The cheese had the consistency of a Cheddar inside but the taste of a gouda.