Author Topic: My 3rd Gouda  (Read 13801 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 3rd Gouda
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
Hi anut,

I think the problem was I was trying to get a bunch of cheeses into long term storage a bit too quickly.  I wanted to have the ripening boxes free for more immediate cheese (now there's an oxymoron for you) and so I was waxing before they had really air dried sufficiently.  Oh well, once it dries out again, this time properly, it should be fine. 

- Jeff

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »
What is "proper" for a Gouda?  You mentioned that you had air-dried this one for about two and a half weeks, and yet still had it expelling moisture...

I've got a Gouda that I made one week ago that is in the "cave" and feels very dry to the touch. I was planning on giving it one more week before putting it in a vacuum bag, but given your experience, I am choose to wait a bit longer...

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »
Hi MacGruff,

If you're going to vac seal, and you think it's dry enough now, then go for it.  Check the bag for moisture each day.  If it releases moisture you'll see it much sooner than I did.  The best way to find the sweet spot (not too early, not too late) is to keep trying until you get a feel for it.

- Jeff

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Thanks JeffHamm,

I decided to wait a bit more before sealing my cheese. Yesterday, when I went to flip it, I noticed a couple of black spots of mold on one face. I immediately wiped them off using a cheesecloth dipped in vinegar, and then sprinkled some salt on the spots and put it back in the "cave".  I noticed this morning that the humidity in my cave went from about 90% to 78% which I ascribe to the salt. This evening, I flipped the cheese again (no recurrence of the black spots) but that face was feeling a bit moist and the humidity in the cave is back at 91%.

Not sure how to interpret all of that, so I will keep to the regimen of daily flipping and decide on how to proceed during the weekend given what happens.

T-Bird

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 10:33:14 PM »
Jeff that is a great looking cheese! I have had the same problems with a gouda looking and feeling dry, then developing moisture in the vacuum bag. They are a very attractive way for the homecheese maker to store his cheese, but I've had trouble making them work.Anut, what is this "cheese cream"?

anutcanfly

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »
Hi T-Bird,

Cheese cream / cream wax:  Non-petroleum cream wax with, or without, mold inhibitors (Natamycin or Sorbate). Excellent for brushing on hard cheeses with or without adding the melted hard wax afterwards.

I'm using two coats of cheese cream without mold inhibitors.   It's very easy to apply and so far it's been working well.  It breaths enough that the cheeses don't get moist on you, or haven't yet... knock on wood.  It adheres to the cheese well, but will still peel off, so you don't lose the rind.  The only problem I've run into is it seems to stay slightly tacky and if you put another cheese on top that is also coated in the stuff, they will try to stick to each other.  I put separators between my cheeses now so as not to damage the cream coating. 

T-Bird

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »
Anut, where do you get this stuff? I've heard of people oiling their rinds, I was afraid if I used the wrong kind of oil, it would rancidify over time.

anutcanfly

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 01:16:34 AM »
Hi T-Bird,

I got mine from Hoeggers, and I noticed it on theCheesemaker.com as well.  I think it just gets overlooked.  You paint it on and let it dry.  It feels like thin plastic when dry. 

T-Bird

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 01:26:22 AM »
Thank you Anut. I buy from Hoegger too, very nice people! They are only about 75 miles from me. I will call tomorrow.

T-Bird

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 11:20:11 PM »
anut,sorry, I went to hoeggar web site, found the coating, says it is for applying before waxing. Do you use it alone? I apologize for changing the subject of this thread.

anutcanfly

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 11:55:25 PM »
Yes, I'm using 2 coats cheese cream and no wax as I want the cheese to be able to breath.  That way they will continue to mature and slowly drop weight as if they were natural rinds without the work of maintaining the rind!  This is something new I just started out of frustration with cheeses developing moisture under wax or in vac bags.  If you stack cheeses, put dividers between them as the stuff likes stick to itself even after it's dried. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 07:12:16 PM »
Hi,

Well, this has been in the cave drying off for a while, and it's now down to 1052g.  It is very tempting to just cut into it and be done with it, but I resisted (having the Lancashire at the ready was a good plan I think).  It's been rewaxed and we'll have another go at aging this out a year or so.  Had a taste of the other aged gouda, which is now 16 months, and it's very good.  This, hopefully, will be the replacement. 

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 11:16:36 PM »
It's exciting waiting for a long term cheese!  :P

T-Bird

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 12:01:30 AM »
Jeff, how long will you wait before bagging again? I think I am going to try the cheese cream on my next gouda. anut, how long do you wait between coats?

JeffHamm

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »
Hi T-Bird,

I won't have to bag this one again as I waxed it.  Or, do you mean how long would I wait after making a cheese before bagging/waxing it?  I think I'll probably wait a minimum of 3 or 4 weeks from now on.  Actually, I'll probably base it upon moisture loss and wait until the cheese is between 1000 and 1100g, and also good and dry to the touch.

- Jeff