Author Topic: Cheddar with Stout  (Read 4197 times)

dthelmers

Cheddar with Stout
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:41:20 AM »
There has been some discussion here and there about making a nice veined cheddar using stout. I've had a commercial variety with very pronounced coloring; I expect enhanced some how. I previously made a cheddar where I soaked the milled curds in stout before salting and pressing. The veining was very pale, and the stout added just a bit to the finish on the taste. This time I boiled down some stout until I had one third the original volume, and soaked the curd as before. I drained the curds, salted as usual, and pressed. I'm pleased with the marbling; time will tell how it tastes. The stout reduction itself was pretty tasty, and I might use it in some other things, such as bread.

anutcanfly

Re: Cheddar with Stout
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:44:56 AM »
Great Idea!  I'll remember to try that!

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 03:24:39 AM »
dt, looks great and good on the idea of making a stout reduction before soaking.

Still not as dark as commercial ones, picture of Cahill's Irish Cheddar With Porter posted here.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 03:55:01 AM »
That looks like it's worked a treat.  It's quite possible the commercial ones add some extra colouring as well though, as they do with the sage derby cheeses. 

- Jeff

dthelmers

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 04:25:11 PM »
Yeah, I suspect caramel color. In that 19th century book you posted the link to, they used spinach juice with the sage to get the color. This batch of stout wasn't as dark as it could have been. I might make a batch of a chocolate stout that's quite black and make a reduction of that and try this again. I'll wait to see how this tastes first, though.

smilingcalico

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:44:59 AM »
I like the look of the marble.  Perhaps it will darken with time.  Even if it doesn't, still looks great!

dthelmers

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 04:01:10 AM »
The last time I did this, the contrast increased with aging, so I think this will look good, but we'll see how the taste develops. Just like to change things up now and then for variety.

dthelmers

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »
I opened this up, and honestly, the taste was no great shakes. It's not pretty enough to be worth the effort, and I got more of the flavor of stout with the Gouda that I soaked in stout. I was entranced by the commercial cheeses that are made like this, and they use coloring to enhance the look. I may do more Cheddars like this for Christmas, just for show, maybe one with sage with spinach juice for coloring, and another with wine and beet or something for coloring.

smilingcalico

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »
Sure does look good on the outside.  I can't see much color inside though.  Too bad about the taste.  I can't be certain, but one video I saw seemed to imply that the stout, after reduction of course, was added to fresh curds which were then mixed with aged curds, the fresh curds acting a bit like glue I'd imagine. not sure why I mention that, just something to consider I guess.  I wonder if maybe you'd consider trying both the addition as you have it, and then back it up with a stout soak for a little punch.  How was the horseradish? I've been thinking of doing one of those, in a gouda, but haven't gotten round to it.  Maybe even wasabi!

dthelmers

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »
It wasn't a bad taste, just not very much taste of stout; I think that your idea of coupling with a soak would help that. I'll try the fresh curd with aged curd next time, but with something to color it darker. The color was better than the last photo, the first photo is more accurate for the color, the flash washed out the color in this photo.
The horseradish cheddar was pretty good, but the flavor of horseradish was a bit mild, and the texture was too crumbly. I used pickled horseradish and I think the vinegar in it got my pH too low. I'll try fresh horseradish next time, or maybe wasabi. The milk was p/h milk, so it needed something for more flavor.

beechercreature

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:03:04 PM »
I wonder if you were to add some finely milled chocolate malt to the stout while you soaked it if you wouldn't get more color and flavor out of it?
It would darken the stout 'brine' significantly and should give it a much more intense roasty flavor.

dthelmers

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »
Yes, I was thinking about the Black Patent roast barley, putting it in while I boil the stout down. I think that in combination with sort of pureeing it into some fresh curd might be the way to go.

beechercreature

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »
Yes, I was thinking about the Black Patent roast barley, putting it in while I boil the stout down. I think that in combination with sort of pureeing it into some fresh curd might be the way to go.

Black patent would definitely get some color in there, but i'd worry about getting astringency from it.  The de-bittered black should help cut that down a bit.

dthelmers

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 09:42:20 PM »
What's de-bittered black? I was worried about the astringency too, especially with a dry cheddar.

Cloversmilker

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 02:05:37 AM »
I've been following this with interest.  Do you know the pH of your stout reduction?  The reason I ask is because of the problem jlewis and I ran into when trying to make port mottled cheddars.  Read about it here.  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9258.0.html
Near the end of the thread Francois and linuxboy explain why it didn't work. 

I have 3 cheshires made about the same time.  I'm wondering about soaking one of them in port at maturation to see what flavor develops.