Author Topic: Dairy connection's single strenght veal rennet  (Read 3998 times)

cutetrill

Dairy connection's single strenght veal rennet
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »
So the instructions on the bottle for Dairy Connections single strength veal rennet says 1tsp for 2 gallons of milk. Does that seem like a lot to anyone else? I used that much for my 3 gallon make of Parmesan and got the best "clean break" I've ever gotten. (I've been using the tablets up until now) But that still seems like a lot especially when every recipe I've come across so far states half that amount for the same amount of milk.

Cheese Head

Re: Dairy connection's single strenght veal rennet
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:31:03 PM »
I haven't used their rennet, and each batch has depending on storage conditions and age, different strength, plus the milk you are working is different from others.

Normally the manufacturer's guideline dosage is the best place to start and then adjust up or down based on your experience for your milk (which changes over season) and your rennet (age and storage conditions) and your cheese you are making (ie some recipes call for pre-ripening before renneting which lowers the pH and makes coagulation easier).

Three different methods for determining when to cut a rennet coagulated curd are listed here, if your recipe calls for cutting the curd at more or less time than when the method you follow shows ready, then you need to adjust your rennet dosage up/down on the next make to closer match your recipe.

Therefore, if you are using the same milk and same rennet and again making a Parmesan then go with your previous dosage and adjust if that curd was too fast or too slow.

Hope helps.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 05:59:17 PM »
Does that seem like a lot to anyone else?
That's about double the right dose. It should be 8-9 ml single strength per 100 lbs of milk.

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:07:00 AM »
That is way too much rennet.  I use their product, and utilize 1 teaspoon to 10 gallons of milk.

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 04:00:37 AM »
Bad information is so frustrating!  I had the same problem with the chymosin rennet I recently switched to.  The web site said double strength, the bottle when I received it said single strength and after finding and going thru the manufacturers guildlines it was in fact... Triple strength!  @#$%$##!

cutetrill

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
Oi, so dumb. You would think they'd restrict this kind of labeling and be sure manufacturers have the right info on there!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
Manufacturers dosages are just beginning guidelines. You should search the Forum on Flocculation, which will give you much more accurate dosing.

anutcanfly

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
It helps to have the correct guidelines to begin with!  For mine the manufactures range was 1/10 to 1/6 tsp per 2 gallons.  In use 1/8 tsp per 2 gallons sets my curd between 30 and 45, unless it's pH is low like goat milk.  Then the dose drops to 9 drops per 2 gallons to stay in the same set time.  Due to misinformation from the supplier (not the manufacturer), I used 1/4 tsp per 2 gallons and ended up with a strange shaped bouncy ball.  At 8 dollars a gallon that type of error is costly!  These days I never use the guidelines on the bottle until I have checked via other sources that the info is correct, as this in not the only instance of misinformation on labels I've run into!