Author Topic: Doomsday Parmesan  (Read 1624 times)

cutetrill

Doomsday Parmesan
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »
This is my first attempt at Parmesan cheese, and I have to say I was quite nervous about it. I used 3 gallons of milk and Ricki Carrol's recipe. All in all the make went well, but my final weight for the cheese is just under 3 pounds, when it should be about 2.5 pounds. I think I didn't cut the curds small enough before I started cooking them. I must remember to try the whisk method next time.

I'm really happy about the press, too. There's barely any cheese cloth marks. Hooray I think I'm getting better at this. :D Now it's just a matter of surviving the apocalypse in 2012 so that I can crack open this bad boy for next new years.

zenith1

Re: Doomsday Parmesan
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
looks nice .Thankfully cheese is highly portable so when the apocalypse hits you are set to go! Your yield may be a little bit high but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Did you hit your scalding temp and time right? You might not have cooked the curd enough. Just a guess until you post your notes for us to look at. Congrat's

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »
It should go well grated over some doomsday pasta or ravioli.

cutetrill

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:04:57 PM »
Yep, heated from 90F to 124F in exactly 45 minutes. Perfect if I do say so myself. ;) And I can't wait for doomsday lasagna!

Cloversmilker

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 02:18:06 AM »
Perhaps the high yield is due to your milk.  My yields this winter have been quite high due to the seasonal variation in my cow's milk. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 04:32:39 AM »
That is a very nice looking parmesan cutetrill and a fine press at that.