Author Topic: The Dreaded Camembert #4  (Read 6354 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
The Dreaded Camembert #4
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:43:36 PM »
What is the definition of madness ...?  Doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.   Cheese obsession....  Making the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.  Well after three .. yes THREE failed attempts, I'm at it again.  Changing a couple of things on the recommendation of the Masters here and my supplier.

31st DEC 2011  Camembert #4

So Today I’m using Tim Smiths method, the recommended changes are
1.   1 dose MO 0030 and NO Flora Danica
2.   Liquid rennet
3.   400 mls of cream to raise fat content.
4.   1 New batch P.Candidum and NO G.Candidum  = Bought a new , different batch and turffed the original.

7.5 litres whole milk and 400 mls of cream.  Roughly calc'd up the percent to 5 %
¼ tsp Calcium Chloride dissolved in ¼ cup de-chlorinated water
8 tablespoons of mother culture or ¼ teaspoon Mesophilic direct set culture.
(Variation 1 dose GLA MO 030)
1/8 tsp Penicillium Candidum - pre-hydrated over night
(1  P.Candidum – 1 (for 8 litres) P-‘Drop’ )
¼ tsp liquid rennet  diluted in ¼ cup of distilled water.
Cheese salt.
(Variation going to brine in 18% solution for 6 hours then air drain/dry before placing in the maturation boxes).

I'll keep you posted as the day progresses...
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

linuxboy

Re: The Dreaded Camembert #4
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:57:57 PM »
18% solution for 6 hours
This is going to give you an extremely salty cheese. Cams are 30-45 max mins per side when using 18%.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »
Thanks for warning.  I'll adjust accordingly.
08:00 Milk warming to target temperature and added Calcium Chloride @ 16C
08:09 Milk warming @22C
08:23 Milk warming @31C
08:34  1 dose MO030 and P.Candidum Stir for 2 minutes remembering to top stir because of the added cream.
Interesting observance : immediately after adding the pre-hydrated P.Candidum and the culture what looked like fat globules appeared on the surface of the milk.  They look a creamy yellow and seeing as I added extra cream I’m assuming this is Ok.

I think making cheese this way, live on the forum, is like having mentors all around and swimmimg with a life vest.  Thanks, I'll post progress photos throughout the day.

-- Mal

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:51:32 AM by OzzieCheese »
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:05:14 PM »
The top of the milk is now very creamy and must remember to top stir when adding the rennet.

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »
Here's some crossed fingers and toes for you Mal.  I'm sure you'll crack it this time.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:19:47 AM »
I admire your perseverance.   Hope 4th time is the charm!  :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:26:57 AM »
Thanks for all your best wishes. ;)
Added 1/4 teaspoon liquid vege rennet.

The Flocculation method will be used today and aiming for about 12 minutes and a multiplier of 5.5.  Actually achieved @ 14 minutes.
10:19 Floc time of 14 minutes therefore by 5.5  = 77 minutes. Hence curd cutting will be @ 11:25. Maybe the extra cream has affected the Floc time.  I can live with 14 minutes.

-- Mal
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:50:55 AM by OzzieCheese »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 02:09:57 AM »
Curd cutting 1.5 cm and stirring for 15 and resting for 15 divided into 5 3minute intervals.
Let rest for a further 15 minutes.

Observation:  The butter fat, the yellow globules, haven’t combined with the curds so there are yellow specks floating in the whey.  I’m thinking they should be there so again I’m not worried.  They whey isn’t separating as much as l thought, which I will suppose will mean a longer settling time and flipping times also needs to be longer and probably more of them until they are firm enough to take from the moulds.

12:02 Draining as much of the whey as possible and getting ready to place in the moulds.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 02:48:12 AM »
Well... I'm back to too much curds. I filled my four standard 100mm moulds and still had way too much, so I even half filled my 160mm mould. So.. what is the consensus. persevere with them or reduce the risk of heart ache a ditch them now ?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:53:52 AM by OzzieCheese »

Cloversmilker

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 02:54:31 AM »
Persevere of course! 

We're just now eating my third batch of camembert, which is the first one approaching success.   ;)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 03:26:12 AM »
Now 40 minutes since hooping and the 100mm hoops have now about 25mm space in the top and I can still see whey coming out. This may turn into a serendipitous cheese or very runny mess.  Looks like going to have to keep at it.

--Mal

Oberhasli

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 04:26:25 AM »
Good luck on the new batch.  Anytime I have added cream to cams the make has more curds and produce a denser cheese, like a cambozola.  Have you always added cream to the recipes you have tried? 

I hope you will keep us posted with pictures of your new group of cheeses.   ;D

Bonnie

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »
This is the first time I've added cream but I think there are benefits that I will need to investigate further.  Yes the curd mass increase will need to be considered next time.  But hay thats the beauty of what we do . . . .

New Years Eve spent at home making cheese.  There really is a great feeling being able to create something from raw products.  But today has not been one of total sucess but one of small failures and indeed a modicom of learning.  Lessons learnt

1. adding cream will increase the curd mass.
2. recipes are made to be played with.
3. Make one change at a time, I made three today which might be my undoing.

So here are the final pics from today.  I have been flipping the cheeses for the afternoon once every hour and they are starting to firm up, so after the next flip I'll let them drain completely overnight and brine in the morning.

If smell is anything to go by then these should work, well the small ones anyway the bigger one I'm doubtful.

I'll post photos as these mature.   Fingers crossed.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
I lft them drain overnight as they were still a bit squiggy. They now have a better form and feel about them.  Just popped them in to brine for a couple of hours.  THere is a dose of P.C in the brine as well.  I get to this stage and think that they look wonderful.  Lets hope the end story line is different this time.

-- Mal

ellenspn

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 02:42:42 AM »
Good Luck Mal,  It is looking good so far!