Author Topic: Cheese Shop - Samples and Loss  (Read 5031 times)

ynmaker

Cheese Shop - Samples and Loss
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »
Does anyone have an approximate percent loss for customer samples and loss due to age or over ripening in a cheese shop?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Cheese Shop - Samples and Loss
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »
Depends on the cheese type and the packaging. Vacuum packaged cheeses last much longer, but that is not always an option with soft cheeses.

bettyjmaar

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »
First thing Brie stops aging the second you slice it. What this means? It is that if it isn't ripe, in other words it has been bought and used too soon, or hasn't been aged properly it will not improve from that moment, so it needs eaten up pretty quickly.

mshyland

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 02:31:08 AM »
I spoke with a cheesemonger recently in California who estimated 10% for loss and tastings. I'm just shout to open my own cheese shop and will definitely be keeping track

Chris K

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »
I spoke with a cheesemonger recently in California who estimated 10% for loss and tastings. I'm just shout to open my own cheese shop and will definitely be keeping track

Good luck! I just secured funding myself and hope to open yet this Spring. Steve Jones at Portland's Cheese bar told me recently he's gotten shrinkage down to less than 2% IIR%C... but that's just waste, not marketing and samples.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »
Depends on how aggressive you are going to market. For example, at Farmers Markets I do one 8 oz sample of cubed cheese for every type I sell. I usually do 12 different types, so that's 12 sets of samples every day. I do 6 markets every weekend, so we go thru a LOT of samples. A store front presents a more difficult situation. You could put out just 1 or 2 samples every day, but the more samples you put out, the better your sales will be. And unless you have a lot of foot traffic, most of the samples will go to waste.