Author Topic: Ah ... Back to Basics  (Read 1276 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Ah ... Back to Basics
« on: January 02, 2012, 04:38:39 AM »
I needed a back to basics day and didn't really have a lot of time so a 30 Minute Mozzarella.  This was the first cheese I ever made and not having a PH meter or strips this was the trick for Monday public holiday.  It is a really simple recipe to which I have added a 1/2 dose of Lipase.

This is based on Rickii Carrols recipe and method.

4 litres Whole milk
1/8 tsp CaCl2 in 1/4 cup of water
1 1/2 tsp citric acid in a 1/4 cup of water
1/2 dose of lipase let sit for 20 minutes - It sorta blows the 30 minutes time frame but it's nice.
1/4 tsp liquid rennet of 1/4 rennet tablet - I'm using liquid today - in 1/4 cup water.  I actually added another 1/4 tsp of rennet due to the Lipase.
2 tabs cheese salt - I like salt.
Bowl of Iced water.

Add calcium chlorideand stir.
Add Lipase and stir in well.
Add in citric acid and stir well.
Direct heat the milk to 32 Degrees C - I use a heat difuser as I hate directly heating the milk, even when cooking.
When 32 degree is reached remove from the heat.
Add rennet and stir for about 30 seconds.  Let sit for about 10 minutes and check for a clean break. if not achieved wait for 5 more.  You will need a clean break for this to work.
Cut the curd in about 3/4 inch cubes.
Heat the curds to 38-40 degrees and strring gently all the time.  When reached remove from the heat and keep stirring for 5 minutes.

Now the fun bit...

Drain the curds using a cheese cloth in a colander and retain the whey if you want to do the water bath method.  I like the microwave method.

Place the curd in a microwave safe bowl and gently press the whey from the curds.  Empty the whey from the bowl.
Place the bowl in the microwave on high for 1 minute.  Remove whey and press the curd mass like you would kneed dough for bread making.

Microwave again for 30 seconds.
Kneed the cheese again, the mass will start to turn glossy.  If not do it again.  Kneed until smmoth and shiney.   

The idea is to get the cheese to a point where it stretches when pulled apart, like hot plastercine or taffy(if you've ever done that :). ).

When the cheese stretches it is done.  Divide into 2 or 4 balls and plundge into iced water for about 5 minutes. 

You can store for 1 week in fridge or 1 month in the freezer.  Fresh with basil and home grown tomatoes or grated over pizza.  Heaven :)

Have fun ....

--Mal 

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:42:04 AM by OzzieCheese »
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
Re: Ah ... Back to Basics
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:26:50 AM »
A relaxing day at home with the wife both doing what we like... Cheeseing and Preserving.  All spring we have been watching these grow and today is bottling day.  I'm showing off I know but I'm proud of my wife's efforts doing something out of her comfort zone-- we are pickleing Cayene, habaeros,Jalapenos and a mild sweet chili.  Here is a photo of the Mozzarella today that will be on pizza with last seasons chilli's.. yumm !
-- Mal
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:40:16 AM by OzzieCheese »
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »
Mai, both look great, I'm going to be making and canning a "Winter Chutney" today with my Mum.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:01:57 AM »
After the preserving activities we enjoyed the 'Fruits' of our labours.  Cheese plate with 3 cheeses (Caerphilly,Manchego and the Mozzarella) with homemade pickles, relish and a mates fresh eggs and home made bread.  Nothing store bought all homemade - well I suppose the original milk was store bought. ;D.  It really dosn't get much better - apart from a home brew >:D

This is why we do this..

-- Mal

Cloversmilker

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »
Lovely peppers.  We won't see that in our kitchen until late August at the earliest.