Author Topic: Storing brine?  (Read 5164 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Storing brine?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »
I save and sanitize old milk bottles and pour the bring back into the bottles and store in the fridge between makes if it is less than 2 weeks.

hoeklijn

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »
Most Dutch artisan cheese farms have their brining tank in the storage room, and it will be used for months. Checking the saturation and PH is done on a regular base.

zenith1

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 08:26:29 PM »
Steff-sorry I never re-posted the information that you requested. I have attached a PDf file for you.

wilcofan

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 11:23:20 PM »
how do you know how much salt to add to your brine after a couple of uses?  Is there a way to test this other than measuring electrical resistance?

linuxboy

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 01:55:42 AM »
Yes, measure the specific gravity with a hydrometer. There are hydrometers out there specifically for salinity called salometers.

Edgwick Farm

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 08:38:50 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what do you all use for a brine tank?  Any pictures?  We have been using a big cambo box for brining and then filtering the brine and storing in 5 gallon buckets in the cave until the next use.  Not real happy with this method.  At Consider Bardwell Farm we saw they had a big plastic box like thing on wheels with a cover (photo attached)