Author Topic: Sbrinz  (Read 3350 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Sbrinz
« on: December 05, 2009, 01:01:47 AM »
I am trying to decide if I want to make a Sbrinz, an extra hard Swiss grating cheese. My recipe says it needs to age for AT LEAST 18 months. I have a Parmesan and a Romano that I will not open before they are one year old (October 2010), but 18 months might drive me crazy. I have not had Sbrinz, so is it really worth the extra long wait???

smilingcalico

Re: Sbrinz
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
Wow, no replies yet. Looks like nobody has tried it yet. You could be the pioneer, Sailor.

jakobs

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:46:03 PM »
I have never tasted one so I don't know if it is worth the extra waiting.
Could you share your recipe?

Regards,
   Jakob S.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:03:20 AM »
Sailor do it! I know you love the Emmental style cheeses and this is a great cheese. It is dry and crumbly like a parmesan but with a bit of sweetness along with slight bite. It's really great grated on french onion soup, boiled ham and veggies, and a wonderful addition to a mac and cheese. It will be worth the wait.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:17:41 PM »
Hey, Ed, did you ever make the Sbrinz?

I was considering it and only found your posting and anutcanfly's make.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »
I'm curious about this too. The recipe I saw called for a rice sized cut of 1/8". I find that a bit daunting as I always seem to break curds when I use a whisk to cut to 1/4".

Alpkäserei

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:40:47 PM »
Personally, I would rather have an Alpkäse than Sbrinz. They are really about the same thing, but Berner Alpkäse is a bit more easy to eat.

Also technically, you cannot make Sbrinz. That is a protected name, and you have to be on one of 50 some farms in Central Switzerland to legally make Sbrinz.

And historically speaking, Sbrinz as it comes from Italy originally referred to Berner Alpkäse, which was for centuries traded over the Alps to Italy. Then the Central Swiss got in on the game later, and just adopted the name for themselves.

There is really very little difference between Berner Alpkäse and Sbrinz. The latter is cooked a little higher and so is drier and harder. There is no real advantage to this though, because the former can be aged up to 10 years (after which time it is too hard to eat).

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:29:19 PM »
Umm....Berner Alpkäse...your killing me, Alp.  First Abondance in the press, virgin voyage reasonably well acquitted, and I can't wait for this thing to age out.  So it looks like a trip to gather up my orgy of mountain cheeses is going to have to tide me over...!

- Paul

Alpkäserei

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:55:35 AM »
Won't find this in the US. The AOP rules include a few specifications that make it illegal in the US -must be cooked over an open fire, must be aged on raw, untreated, unsanded wooden shelves, etc.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 02:45:07 AM »
My mistake, Alp.  I had thought I tried some not that long ago, actually in the cheese shop at Roth Kaese.  Now I wish I could recall what it was, as it was wonderful.  Thinking on some cheeses like this, this triggers me on Vacherin Fribourgeois, which I've not had since leaving Chicago.
- Paul