Author Topic: Shelf life of starter cultures  (Read 3417 times)

adalton

Shelf life of starter cultures
« on: January 05, 2012, 04:01:17 AM »
Does anyone know how long mesophilic and thermophilic cultures will last.  I have some in my freezer that maybe older than a year.  They have always stayed in the freezer.  Also,  how can you tell if they are not good and what are the consequences if used? 

Andy

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: Shelf life of starter cultures
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »
I have no direct experience, but all the readings I've done stated that they should last "at least one year, if stored in the freezer." I guess if I was in your shoes, that I would buy new ones...     ???

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:10:24 AM »
Hi Cheesemkr,

To find out if they are still "good", try this.  Buy a 1 litre box of "UHT" skim milk.  This isn't much good for making hard cheese, but it's great for making "culture cubes".  It's also sterile.  So, open it, and put a few grains of your culture in it.  If it's a meso culture, just close the UHT loosely so there's air exchange, and leave it out at room temp (22 C type thing) for 24 hours.  For a thermo, put it in a warmer spot (I put it in the closet on top of our hot water cyllendar).  If it's good, then after 24 hours it should have thickened into a yogurt like consistency.  You can then pour this into ice cube trays (you'll get about 40 cubes) and freeze them.  I then keep them in zip lock type freezer bags.  When you go to make a cheese, you can add these cubes instead (I use 2 or 3 in a 10 litre make). 

Anyway, I've been doing this for over a year now, and have only had to make my second batch of ice cubes (but, I've got both meso and thermo cubes, and a I also made a batch of cubes from 600 ml of buttermilk).  The cultures were well over a year by then.  It's possible, of course, for some of the strains to die off while other bits are still active, so the resulting cubes might not have the same mixture ratio of bacteri. 

But, at least this will let you know if they are still working.  I suspect they are probably fine if they were stored in the freezer the whole time.

- Jeff

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:11:16 AM »
Are you asking for degradation curves of cell death based on storage conditions or something else? Some cells will be viable for decades.  For a general rule of thumb, at around -20C in the freezer, DVI culture will experience a viability loss of 10-15%/year, increasing after 16-18 months. I've found, I have to start using more culture for the same acidity curve after it is 2 years old.

If you want some security, make up a mother from it and use a mother.

To test viability, test a small amount and culture some milk and monitor the pH curve.

adalton

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:00:24 AM »
Thanks for your help