Author Topic: Cut into my first raw-milk cheddar  (Read 2229 times)

Digitalsmgital

Cut into my first raw-milk cheddar
« on: May 04, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »
This make was January 8th, 116 days ago, not old enough for a cheddar but this wheel was weeping so I cut into it to see what was happening.

2.5 gallons raw cow's milk
1/2 teaspoon veal rennet
3/8 teaspoon mesoII

86 F ripen
14 min floc x3.5
  3/4 inch cubes
20 min heal
Raise temp to 102 F stirred
1 hour 15 minutes cooked
Ladled into colander 15 minutes drained
Flipped 15 min drained kept warm 85 F
Cut and stacked 1/2 inch slabs over warm whey
Every 15 min flipped recut as necessary for one hour
Milled 1/2-3/4 inch cubes with 2% salt
Pressed in whey 15 min 15 lbs.                                             
Flipped and redressed pressed 15 min at 15 lbs out of the pot
Flipped and redressed               
Overnight at 75  lb.s         

Looks good, smells good, but taste is slightly acidic. I'm going to bag the rest and wait to see if the flavor develops after a few more months. As is, I am not excited about eating it with crackers and beer. My P&H cheddar is older and doing well in the cave, I have high hopes for that one!                                                                     

Spoons

Re: Cut into my first raw-milk cheddar
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:48:20 PM »
Nice cheese, Dave! Looks real good!

I don't know much about culture/rennet/additive quantities with raw milk, but the rest of the recipe looks solid. The acidic taste is probably due to it's young age as you mentioned.

Or maybe (and most likely) the cheese just didn't have time to air out after unsealing it. Sometimes I still have that acidic/fermented taste even 24 hours after I unsealed a cheese.  36 hours in the fridge in a plastic container is my new guideline now before I eat a cheese that was ages sealed.

A cheese for you for that awesome looking cheese!

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »
Or maybe (and most likely) the cheese just didn't have time to air out after unsealing it. Sometimes I still have that acidic/fermented taste even 24 hours after I unsealed a cheese.  36 hours in the fridge in a plastic container is my new guideline now before I eat a cheese that was ages sealed.

Thanks, Eric! I have never heard that tip before, but that was my experience with the gouda I finished yesterday. When I first opened it I was not overwhelmed, yet after a week I was wolfing down large quantities every sitting! AC4U for that revelation!

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »
Nice cheese, Dave! Looks real good!

I don't know much about culture/rennet/additive quantities with raw milk, but the rest of the recipe looks solid. The acidic taste is probably due to it's young age as you mentioned.

A cheese for you for that awesome looking cheese!

Yes , I concur  ;D , I think it is "Tu Yung Tu" , especially for a Cheddar , be patient Grasshopper !  ;D

Confucius says...  "Flavor rages , in cheese that ages , cheese Tu Yung , can taste like dung". ;D

And a cheese to you .

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 04:11:09 PM »

Yes , I concur  ;D , I think it is "Tu Yung Tu" , especially for a Cheddar , be patient Grasshopper !  ;D

Confucius says...  "Flavor rages , in cheese that ages , cheese Tu Yung , can taste like dung". ;D

And a cheese to you .

LOL@jwalker did you really quote Confucius or did you make that up? Thanks, the rest of the wheel is bagged and waiting for the flavor rage to come!

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »

[/quote]
LOL@jwalker did you really quote Confucius or did you make that up? Thanks, the rest of the wheel is bagged and waiting for the flavor rage to come!
[/quote]

Ya got me.................busted ! :-[ ;D