Author Topic: Which vacuum bagging system to get?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Which vacuum bagging system to get?
« on: May 11, 2014, 07:49:13 PM »
You all have gotten me interested in vacuum bagging my cheeses. I happened to be in the relevant aisle in Walmart -- no doubt THE place to buy cheese supplies ::) -- and saw two brands, Ziploc and Foodsaver, each in several models.

What should I be looking for? What do the more expensive models have that the cheaper models don't? Is there a consensus on one brand vs. another, and what other brands and sources should I check out?
-- Andy

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Which vacuum bagging system to get?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
My wife and I over the years have used seal a meal, it worked great for want of something closer to our pocketbook.
the wife decided to buy the food saver, sort of spendy, it is much more versatile than the ones we have had before, she just loves it
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »
I have a food saver system. I bought it 5 years ago, still running strong. At the time Ziplock wasn't in the vac-seal business. So I can't really compare but I can tell you that in my experience, Food Saver is very reliable.

I'm curious about Ziplock though. It's news to me that they have a vac-seal system.

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
I purchased a Vac-master 110 from Websturantstore and have been satisfied with the results (use for both cheese and sous vide).  This was the one I wanted to get (very good ratings here and on Amazon) but I decided to save the $90 and go with the cheaper model which works well and takes up less counter space.   A very useful if not essential appliance to have for cheese, spus sous vide cooking and general food storage and freezing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:38:10 PM by John@PC »

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »
I bought this one from Amazon , http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HMWC4A/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   under $30 and still working great.

I don't use it a lot anymore , I don't care for the way the cheese sweats in it.

But they're great for other foods as well.

cowboycheese

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »
I've had a FoodSaver Compact II for over 20 years now and its on its last legs - or suckages. The adjustable vacuum pump still works but the rubber parts and heating tape are EOL. I've really liked how it has lasted so long. I think when the seals finally break down I'll shop for a used commercial table top one. I'd like to be able to wrap up to 10" wheels that are 5 to 6" thick. For now, the maximum for the large width FoodSaver bag size is an 8" round about 4" thick. I use the smaller bag width for wrapping wedges. PS - I've had nothing but problems with the cheaper bag material from the big box stores so I stick with the FoodSaver brand bags and get them on sale - online.

The only time I've had issues with cheese leakage in the bag is when I didn't sufficiently dry out the wheel. In any case, I now leave a bit of a tail on the bag should I need to cut it, dry things off a bit and reseal it. The tips from Boofer to initially use PVA coating and let the wheels age a bit (it can breath out moisture through the PVA) and then bag it has been spot on for me.

DrChile

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:54:50 PM »
Foodsaver.  Purchased from Costco.
works well.  Can control the vacuum by hitting the seal button.  Reliable.  The bags are a little pricy (but i can get those at costco too)
I use it for other things as well.

Recommended.

I've always wondered if the vac bagged cheeses will age as well as waxing… we'll see.

Trent