Author Topic: My first Derby based upon my own recipe  (Read 1948 times)

Offline anutcanfly

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 26
  • Who moved my cheese?
Re: My first Derby based upon my own recipe
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »
I had a cheese get too dry and crack.  I made sure the wax flowed into the crack and it aged nicely with no problems.

I haven't aged any cheeses with a natural rind yet.  Do they keep losing moisture after they have been oiled?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 162
  • As goes the cheesemaker, so goes the cheese
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 12:01:04 AM »
They do, but the rate slows down.  I made a romano last march, and it's still natural rind (and clean as a whistle; never any problem).  Out of the press it was just over 1600g, by June it was around 1270, and I just popped it on the scale today and it's between 1100 and 1200 (I forgot to write it down).  So it's still losing some, but only about 100g and a bit since last June.

- Jeff
The wise do not always start out on the right path, but they do know when to change course.

Offline anutcanfly

• Old Cheese
  • Who moved my cheese?
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
I have been trying to avoid natural rinds but I would think you could not get the density needed for a grating cheese when you wax it.

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 05:03:38 PM »
The only reason I wax them is because my ripening boxes only hold 2 cheeses each, and I can only fit 1 box per shelf in the fridge.  When I wax the cheese, and it doesn't have to go in a box, I can get 8 cheeses on the shelf.  So it's better use of my cave space.

- Jeff
The wise do not always start out on the right path, but they do know when to change course.

Offline anutcanfly

• Old Cheese
  • Who moved my cheese?
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Same thought here!  Maxmizing space, but hopefully not at the expense of some cheeses later down the line.  I have mine carefully worked out so I've saved just enough room for containers to run blue, bloomy and washed rind cheeses, and so I can run two natural rind cheeses without any pentalty in space. I should be able to get close to 100 lbs of cheese into my 5 cubic feet cheese cave.  The nicest thing about winter is I can spill some projects over into an unheated room in the house.

I haven't been tracking the weights as you do, but it seems like most the weight is lost in the first 2-3 weeks, so after that waxing shouldn't be a problem.

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
Hi,

Ok, Made this over a year ago.  Just removed it from the wax, and it now weighs 956g.  The label is from when it went into the wax, so it's dropped a few grams over that period.  It's had one small piece removed over the year as mould was developing under the wax, which would account for a gram or two.  Anyway, there's a bit of pink colouration on the top, but generally it is in good shape.  It has the typical "fruity" smell of a cheese that has been sealed in wax for a long period.  That will fade after it's air out for a few days.  No taste report yet as I find that it's best to wait for the fruity smell to dissipate before trying it.  Will update once we try it.

- Jeff

Offline High Altitude

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 18
  • Cheesemaking & Winemaking
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »
Cannot WAIT to hear how this one turned out taste-wise, Jeff  ;D!  If you love it, I'll give you a cheese  ;)!
Have some (homemade) wine with that cheese!

Offline BobE102330

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • chilihead/cheesehead
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »
Aww, heck.  I'll give Jeff a cheese just for having the patience to leave the cheese in the cave for a year.  The oldest I have in my cave was made mid December 2012. 

Offline MrsKK

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 61
  • Default personal text
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 07:58:58 AM »
I love your adventurous spirit, Jeff Hamm!

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 16
  • I love me some cheese!
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 08:16:33 AM »
We await the results with bated breath! 

And agreed BobE....tis tough to let them sit in there, all alone for that long.  I think I have a cheddar from Oct, and a Cheshire from Nov or Dec, and of course I still have one Parmesan from last year.  I know the cheshire will not make it a year...perhaps the cheddar but for sure the parm will make it a year. I have a few more in the cave, perhaps another cheddar from last year and a few from January. So I better get busy and make some more!  MOAR CHEESE!!   >:D

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »
Well, had a piece this am, and this has turned out wonderfully!  Very nice flavour, and the texture is perfect.  A bit crumbly, but not dry and hard although firm when cutting it.  I've got a photo of the cut cheese to post later when I get it off the camera.  But basically, this is definitely worth repeating.  Certainly a good cheese to age out, but can't speak for how it would be at 4 - 6 months.  I'm very pleased.

- Jeff

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »
Hi,

Here's the shot of the cut cheese. 

- Jeff

Offline High Altitude

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 18
  • Cheesemaking & Winemaking
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »
Jeff, that is really a sight to behold....a well-deserved cheese for you!  Thanks again for sharing the experience  :D!
Have some (homemade) wine with that cheese!

Offline Rizzo

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • Default personal text
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
Hello Jeff

I have just made a Derby today, and put it in the press afew minutes ago.  I notice there is quite a difference in pressing weights between Mrs KK's and yours...Mrs KK, 5kg/1hour, 5 kg/1 hour, 25 kg overnight, yours virtually double.  Is there a reason behind this (I am making 1/2 measures; i.e. 8 litres milk. thanks
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:10:46 PM by Rizzo »

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 12:45:44 AM »
Hi Rizzo,

The make I've posted is one I've put together based upon some old books, etc.  It involves pressing and re-milling the curds a few times, and this results in the curds getting cooler.  The increased pressing weights are to try and ensure a good knit. In fact, my next make of this will increase the weight a bit more.  Also, it's not weight itself that is important, but pressure per square inch, so bigger moulds require more weight to get the same PSI.  Check out library/software board.  I've got an excel workbook there called "cheesetools" and it will help calculate PSI.

- Jeff