Author Topic: 4th Cheese on the way!  (Read 5174 times)

OlJarhead

4th Cheese on the way!
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »
My curds are setting and I'm excited :)

I found a source for raw milk, scooped up 4 gallons of FRESH milk, drank half a gallon with family and set 2 gallons aside for cheese making :)

So far the process has been going well except that I did not prep my PH meter ahead of time (first time use it says to let it sit in solution for 2 hours...DOH!)...

Otherwise, am excited and can already see some differences!

No pictures yet but some coming I'm sure.

OlJarhead

Re: 4th Cheese on the way!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:02:36 AM »
OK so failed to have PH meter ready at the start but once I was starting to cook the curds I set the meter in the solution and let it sit.

When I was about ready to drain the curds I checked the PH (after calibrating) and found it at 6.27 (which Linuxboy was gracious enough to help me understand).

Then I forgot about the meter (doing too many things at once I guess) and cooked the cheese for 1 hour constantly monitoring the temperature.

Note:  My cheese/dairy thermometer seems to be broken :(  I tried to turn the face of it to face me (like you can with most clip on thermometers) and the temp dial moved!  I could not get it to read properly after that and could only guess if it were correct.

I used both a candy thermometer and the diary thermometer after checking them with 120 degree water (out hot water heater had to be set at no higher then 120 for my wifes daycare and was often checked so I used that in hopes it was close)  :o :-\  Then I used a meat thermometer which read the water at 119 degrees and with all three was at least sort of certain that I was pretty close to 100 degrees while cooking the curds (and previous).

This is the first time I made all the steps pretty much where you're supposed to (taking 30 minutes to raise the temp to 90 before putting in the rennet etc).  I'm hopeful.

Color is a slightly yellow cream color -- I used no coloring as this was raw milk and from a small farm with only two cows!  Jersey's.  Thus they won't be feeding much silage I'm thinking and will be pasture and hay fed so the cheese should have a little color in it (better color in summer but it aint).

After cooking for one hour (the curds) I was quite surprised by the amount of whey that came out of the curds and used a cullender to drain it before loading into the press.  Then a ton more came out at initial pressing!  This is exciting because my last two cheeses (same batch) failed in that I didn't cook the whey out and they still seem to be draining whey (ok, probably by now they aren't but that's another story).

OlJarhead

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 03:45:51 AM »

I didn't get any pictures prior to after the rennet had set so we'll start there ;)

In this case the rennet (animal rennet) had set and I'd checked for a clean break.  I got what was probably a clean break around 45 minutes but I thought it might need a little more time (some residue still on my finger) so I gave it ten more minutes.  This time I could easily push my finger into the curd 1/2" before it broke.  Then got a nice clean break and cut the curds best I could with a kitchen knife.

After cutting I began to raise the temp (a lot of 'on' and 'off' of the stove burner but it worked) and cut the large curds into much smaller curds with a butter knife while stirring.

My PH meter that was mostly unused today :(  Mostly because I forgot to make use of it -- was helping a friend re-load some .45acp at the same time.  In my case that means I would advise and he would do -- but before draining the curds the ph read 6.27 which Linuxbox explained to me in a PM (I asked him what it would do overall for the cheese being higher then 6.2 etc).

I found this thermometer seemed to work about as well as the meat one around this stage (funny because it wasn't earlier) but used both constantly to check temps throughout the cooking process.

Finally after draining off the remaining whey I set the cheese in the mold and set the press.  It's a Frankensteins monster but it does work (one day I'll make a good one).

A lot of whey, that was milkier then I expected, came out on the first pressing (I press for one hour and then flip and re-adjust and repress for 24 hours).

The second pressing doesn't put out as much whey -- I'm not sure I really need to do it this way and have read some hear say just press it for 24 hours but flipping it gives me a chance to drain all the whey off.

The biggest challenge with this crappy press is getting the cheese plumb (no tilting etc) but we managed with some working with the lever etc :)

The press gives me 9.92psi which is as close as I can get to 10psi with the weights I have at the moment.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:08:55 PM »
"Note:  My cheese/dairy thermometer seems to be broken   I tried to turn the face of it to face me (like you can with most clip on thermometers) and the temp dial moved!  I could not get it to read properly after that and could only guess if it were correct."

I have one thermometer like this - it is made to be calibrated, but it turns so easily that it is a pain to use.  If you need to calibrate your thermometer in the future, put it into a glass full of ice and water and allow it to sit for five minutes (as much ice in the glass as you can).  It should read 32* F.

I always flip the cheese at least 2-3 times during the process, mostly because that tells me how the knitting up is going.  Good luck and make sure to tell us how it tastes once you get some age on it.

OlJarhead

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:59:08 PM »
I'll give that a try.  Thanks!

I flipped it once more this morning just because I figured it wouldn't hurt and I wanted to add a little more pressure to the press (to get above 10psi rather then below it)....had some more whey come out but all in all the cheese seems to be very solid.

Can't wait to start the drying and aging.  Seems this cheese will need to go about 3-4 months before a sampling as it's done with raw milk and I've read that it's best to give the good bacteria long enough to fight off the bad bacteria....but I have no idea really :P

Not worried about it though.

OlJarhead

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 02:36:11 AM »

Off to the cave for drying :)

So far it looks great!

OlJarhead

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:12 AM »
THe cheese seems to be drying nicely and I'm hopeful it will develop a nice rind so I can get it waxed by the weekend :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 07:23:45 AM »
Nice looking cheese.
  • What style of cheese were you aiming for? I ask that because of the 10psi.
    Some cheeses get by with 5 lbs pressure. To be clear, that's 5 pounds, not 5 psi.
  • Did you start off pressing somewhat lightly, then increase the pressure?
  • Did you follow a recipe?
Raw milk cheeses are typically aged for 60 days minimum in the U.S. to qualify them as safe to eat. So you wouldn't have to wait for 4 months...unless the cheese would benefit from extended affinage.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

OlJarhead

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »
Nice looking cheese.
  • What style of cheese were you aiming for? I ask that because of the 10psi.
    Some cheeses get by with 5 lbs pressure. To be clear, that's 5 pounds, not 5 psi.
  • Did you start off pressing somewhat lightly, then increase the pressure?
  • Did you follow a recipe?
Raw milk cheeses are typically aged for 60 days minimum in the U.S. to qualify them as safe to eat. So you wouldn't have to wait for 4 months...unless the cheese would benefit from extended affinage.  ;)

-Boofer-

Making Cheddar.  I remember reading about pressing weights vs. PSI in here on a few threads back a year or more ago.  The just of it was that Cheddar needed a full 10PSI under pressing so when I built my simple (and somewhat crappy mind you) dutch press (and had a thread going on that also) I did all the calcs based on trying to reach 10psi pressing weight.

I know a lot of recipes list the pressing weight as "50 lbs" but I think it was linuxboy who pointed out that 50lbs on a 4" mold is NOT the same thing as 50lbs on an 8" mold.

Anyway, my recipe is from Ricki's Cheese Making book with the exception of the pressing which I did 1 hr at 9.92psi then flipped the cheese then pressed for ~12hrs and then flipped again and bumped to 10.86psi for the remaining 12 hrs (because I wanted to get over 10psi.

Thanks for the tip on aging.  This cheese was a little high in ph value when I drained the whey which I learned from linuxboy would be best if let age longer (say 12 months) but I'll sample at 2+ months anyway to see how it's coming along. 

Time to go flip!

OlJarhead

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 03:13:42 PM »

In the cave now on 3rd day of drying.

Seems a nice rind is forming :)

I think this cheese is so far the best attempt yet!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »
Looking good but it looks like a parm from here. What ever you di remember it when you make your first parm.

OlJarhead

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:43:16 AM »
Looking good but it looks like a parm from here. What ever you di remember it when you make your first parm.

It's a cheddar:)  Just no color added.

OlJarhead

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »

Decided it was ready to wax.

Off to the cave for aging :)

I'll let you know how it's doing in a couple months!

MrsKK

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 04:05:47 PM »
Looks good!

iratherfly

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 07:28:05 AM »
Looks great. I couldn't tell it was a cheddar because no photos of the cheddarring!  How big is it? Very nice looking!