Author Topic: My first Blue Brie (Cambozola?)  (Read 7246 times)

boothrf

My first Blue Brie (Cambozola?)
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »
Having made Camemberts for a few months, I decided to try my hand at a Blue Brie on 26th November. I used the hot water dip method to kill off the surface blue moulds, then sprayed PC on the outside before maturing. I made 4 cheeses of different sizes and aspect ratios to assess the variations. So far, I have only opened the 200g "camembert" shaped cheese, as this has the lowest aspect ratio and should have matured the fastest. The other cheeses are much thicker and will be ready in another week or so.

The results are spectacular! :)

The cheeese I opened has a very camembert appearance on the outside, lovely white mould, maybe not quite as white as my cams. Inside there are beautful patches of deep blue mould, nicely developed and surrounded by creamy yellow paste. The flavour is wonderful, lovely strong blue flavour, softened by the creamy brie paste which has a full, buttery flavour. The blue flavour lingers, melding with the creamy paste to create a lovely, mouthfilling experience.

One of my favourite Aussie Blue Bries is King Island Dairy Lighthouse Blue Brie, and I reckon my version compares pretty well.

Extremely happy with this cheese, my best so far, and looking forward to trying the rest of this batch.  :D

JeffHamm

Re: My first Blue Brie (Cambozola?)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »
That looks fantastic!  So, do you pierce it to get the blue to develop, and then the holes "collapse" as the PC developes? 

- Jeff

boothrf

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:50:32 PM »
G'day Jeff, thanks for the comments, and also the comments on my Christmas cams. By the way, I loved your pre Christmas pictures of your cheese plates for your family get together  :)

Yes, the blue mould is added during the make. Then, after brining, I let the cheese dry, then chill in the normal fridge. I then drop them in 95C hot water for 5 seconds (you have to be careful because the outside of the cheese starts to melt and it can stick to your ladle!), before drying completely again. A quick spray with water and PC, then into the maturing container at 11C. A day or so later, when fully dry, I pierce the cheeses. I repierced another two times, just to make sure the holes were open. The PC will grow across the holes, but, initially at least, air flow into the holes is maintained.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:59:08 AM »
I'm very impressed.

Was it a standard camembert make?  Or slightly drier, to keep the curds open?

For mine that I have made in the past I just added PC SAM to the mix and let it grow - no need to dip in hot water.  It almost always outcompetes the blue and I end up with a nice white exterior.  Some failures but not enough to justify going to the extra effort of dipping.

NVD.

boothrf

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 01:06:39 AM »
Thanks for the compliments NVD! I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with the results  ;)

No, much drier. Cut the curds to 12mm, sit for 5 mins then continuous stirring for 15 minutes before draining the whey. Then another 5 mins stirring to keep the curds open.

I'm not familiar with PC SAM, is it a variant of 'normal" PC?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:13:36 AM »
sSAM is one of the most aggressive form of PC.  It is vigorous as well as having quite long fibres - so it makes a real mat.  Cheeselinks in Melbourne stock it and if you just ask for PC that is probably what you will get.

So after draining did you dry stir for another 5 mins?

NVD.

boothrf

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:22:06 AM »
Yes, dry stir for 5 mins. Probably ended up longer than that as I had a few technical difficulties draining the whey so it was worked about a bit while it was draining.

Cheeslinks are my supplier also, so maybe I have the same PC?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 02:40:32 AM »
Hi Bob.

Do you happen to know what the pH was at hooping?

Yes it probably is PC SAM. It should say on the packet anyway.

NVD.

boothrf

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 03:19:41 AM »
I'm not really sure, as I only use pH strips. My records indicate it was around 6.1, but that's not a very accurate reading. Need to ge me a pH meter!

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 08:03:28 AM »
Yep that sounds about right. >6 is what I was thinking.
NVD

boothrf

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 09:18:04 PM »
NVD, I like the idea of just using the PC SAM and letting it out compete the blue. I will trial that on a cheese in my next batch.

Love your website by the way, absolutely beautiful country around Lismore. I live in West Gippsland, Victoria. Not quite as warm as Lismore, but similar rolling hills and lovely green dairy pasture. Would love to see some photos of your blue bries if you have any? I guess they are goat milk cheeses?

Bob

anutcanfly

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »
Nailed it first try! Awesome!  Did you use additional cream, or straight milk?

boothrf

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 11:10:53 PM »
Thanks anut!

I used 8 litres of fresh cows milk and added just 400ml standard cream. I don't like adding too much cream as my expereince is that it is harder to control the draining and initial maturation with the higher moisture/fat curd.

Bob

anutcanfly

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 02:39:19 AM »
 ::) Yep, I would imagine quite a few of us have struggled with that one!  I managed a 7:1 ratio, but it was a touchy.  I would never have thought to do a hot water dip!

boothrf

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 03:04:41 AM »
Yes, the hot water dip is very simple and effective! It clearly killed off the surface blue moulds, allowing the "sprayed on" PC to get to work. I have seen this method used commercially on blue bries.  You just have to make sure it is only dipped for 5 seconds and then quickly removed and placed on a cooling rack. The outside of the cheese will get soft and sticky if left too long, then I imagine would be more difficult to handle. Also, don't pierce before dipping as this may close off the holes, or fill them with hot water, neither of which would be ideal.