Author Topic: Milk freshness question  (Read 1813 times)

dime0000

Milk freshness question
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:13:49 PM »
Tomorow night, I hope to mix up another batch of cheese. I'm using pasteurized milk that I bought about a week ago.

I'm still a few days from the expiration date, but I recall from reading sources that they always say to use FRESH milk.

So my question is - is pasteurized milk that's only a few days away from the expiration date "fresh" enough?? Am I going to have it end up molding on me or something?? :)

Thanks!

wharris

Re: Milk freshness question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »
IMHO, Fresher milk is better.

Milk, even pasteurized, changes over time.  The constituent components of milk seem to always be doing stuff.  The lactose, fats, proteins etc. 

I doubt, however, you will be at any elevated risk to mold than had you used fresh milk, but the milk/cheese may not behave the same way with old milk, if only at a microscopic level. 

You run the risk of having the older milk affect the texture, taste, or smell of the final product.

But hell, rather than throw it away,  make the cheese anyway.  It'll prolly be edible!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Milk freshness question
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:35:41 AM »
Store bought milk definately degradeds rapidly from fresh, or so I've been told. But as Waynes says make it anyway who cares it'll be fine.