Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 748 times)

Marg

Introductions
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:43:40 AM »
I live with my husband  in south east Queensland, Australia on 100 acres.  We try to live sustainably, growing most of our own food.  We are lucky enough to get milk from a local farm and I've been making cheese for about 8 months now.  Most of these have been edible and some quite good.  It took me a long time to master Camembert (would not go soft and while edible, didn't taste like Camembert should).  After a cheesemaking course, realized I was letting the cheese dry out too much before putting in the ripening box.   Oh dear, I digress: this is not the thread for Camembert making!  I am very impressed with this website - all the useful links plus members' comments.  Congratulations to the Webmaster.

Cheers, Marg.

anutcanfly

Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:58:30 AM »
Hi Marg,

Welcome to the forum! 

It's special being able to eat food you've grown yourself.  Unfortunately, everything else wants to eat the food you're growing too! Squirrels are clever bandits.  ::)

boothrf

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 04:44:04 AM »
Hi Marg and welcome to this wonderful forum. There are plenty of Aussies out there making cheese and using this forum to share their experiences. Some of us virtually make on line, describing and photographing our experiences as they happen! (look up posts from Ozziecheese for a good example). I'm sure you will have fun here, and don't hesitate to ask questions about any aspect of home cheesemaking.....we are all here to help. :)

I live in SE Victoria, Nar Nar Goon in West Gippsland, amongst some very rich dairy farms. So far I have concentrated on camemberts and Fetta, and have recently tried my hand at blue bries. Still a lot to learn, but loving the experience of making my own cheeses.

You won't have any problems with squirrels, but marsupial mice, wombats and wallabies might be a problem!  ;)

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »
Welcome Marg, thanks, I'm the Webmaster but particpate using this name. It's actually all the members that make this website great, I just provide the canvass (& try to keep all the spammers at bay).