Author Topic: Whey life  (Read 2212 times)

adalton

Whey life
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »
Another question I have for you experienced cheese makers is keeping the whey.  Can the whey be kept for a while?  I have seen recipes for ricotta that requires whey no more than a few hours old.  I was just curious if the whey was strained through a chinois or other extremely fine strainer if the whey could be frozen or put in the refrigerator for an extended period of time?

Thanks,

Andy

linuxboy

Re: Whey life
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:48:53 PM »
To use for what purpose?

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »
You can save the whey for brine, but I've found it's too nasty tasting for ricotta very quickly.

adalton

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 06:05:20 PM »
Just curious really, sometimes I feel that I'm wasting it by dumping it down the drain.  Was thinking about saving for brine's, maybe pizza or bread dough.  Heck, maybe it would be healthy to give to my two dogs or watering garden plants, instead of just going down the drain.   Obviously won't be able to save and use it all, but just something I have been thinking about from time to time.

Andy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:12:32 PM by Cheesemkr »

dthelmers

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 06:17:22 PM »
I met a couple this summer who said cheesemaking was a by-product of whey making. The loved to drink whey. Apparently it was used a a beverage commonly on the farm, and the rural Scots fermented a beverage from it, like a small beer.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
Acidic whey (as opposed to sweet whey) is a great natural fungicide. We use it on grapes, tomatoes, roses, flowers, etc. Really helps with powdery mildew, etc. Plus it adds a lot of trace elements into the soil. We also use it in bread and soups.

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:37:57 PM »
I've been watering my fruit trees and such with the whey so it doesn't go to waste. 

Good idea Sailor, I didn't think of bread and soup. 

People drink it?  :o

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 07:49:17 PM »
For the first couple days after cheesemaking the whey I get is quite tasty.  It does acidify after about days though, at which point it is fine for bread making and such, but not so nice to drink. 

If you raise animals, chickens, pigs, etc, mix it with their gain and other food.  It's full of good stuff for them.

- Jeff

adalton

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and ideas regarding the use of whey I appreciate it.

Andy

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »
If you are on a septic system, please don't dump the whey down the drain, as it can adversly affect the workings of the system.  A bit is okay, but not good to put it all down the drain.

I usually make ricotta 24-36 hours after I've made the cheese.  I've found it works better than fresh whey.

For the pigs, I soak their cracked corn in whey.  They grow really well on that stuff!

Tomer1

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:16:45 PM »
I use it for bread making and soup. good way to add protein and flavor.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 01:47:06 PM »
Acidic whey (as opposed to sweet whey) is a great natural fungicide. We use it on grapes, tomatoes, roses, flowers, etc. Really helps with powdery mildew, etc. Plus it adds a lot of trace elements into the soil. We also use it in bread and soups.

A really old thread, I know ... but this post caught my eye. Sailor, if you see this, I'd like more info on how you apply the whey to the tomatoes, etc. -- just watering them with it, or spraying it on, or ??
-- Andy