Author Topic: I'd like mine with CRACKERS, please!  (Read 2002 times)

Crystal

I'd like mine with CRACKERS, please!
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:02:07 AM »
Want some great homemade crackers to go with your cheese?

No problem, try these:

Basic Crackers
2C Plain Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
2Tbsp Soft Butter
1C milk (approx)

You can do this in a food processor or stand mixer or by hand but Im using a hand mixer!
Preheat your oven to about 150c

1. In a bowl combine the flour and salt (if your seasoning the crackers now is a good time to ensure its evenly mixed)

2. Rub/Cut/Mix in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.

3. Slowly add enough milk to give a soft but not sticky dough.

4. Dump it on the bench and bring it together with your hands.

5. Roll out paper thin using a rolling pin or a pasta machine!

6. Cut into 'cracker' shapes and place on a cookie sheet if you have one or any shallow tray you've got.

7. Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until golden and crisp. You can turn them once if needed. Cool on trays and store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.

You can also freeze the dough rolled into a log shape and slice the crackers with a sharp knife. Allow to thaw on the trays before cooking.

Theres plenty you can do with these to make them more interesting too.

Parmesan cheese and some onion powder sprinkled on before cooking gives a tasty Cheese and Onion cracker.
Some powdered chicken stock will give you chicken crackers
An extra tasty cheese grated finely and mixed into the dough is lovely and gives the crackers a more flakey texture.
Top with sesame or poppy seeds and roll them in with your rolling pin before you cut.

One of my favourites is simple cracked pepper in the dough with a sprinkling of rock or sea salt on top!

You can also use dried chilli, herbs (dried does work better).

MrsKK

Re: I'd like mine with CRACKERS, please!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing your recipe.  I've always wanted to try making my own crackers, but have never gotten to it.  Now I have more motivation.

Crystal

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 07:34:07 PM »
I made these yesterday and couldnt remember why i havent done them before. My dads had this recipe in a note book for 30 years! I did add more butter, about 5-6tbsp. Using the pasta machine to roll was brilliant but with the seasonings in them i couldnt roll as thin as id like without tearing the dough. Also used a pozza cutter to cut.
They really are great. Would be good to have in the freezer. I want to make some with wholemeal flour, for the kiddies! Well, ok i dont ever buy wholemeal so i use white flour and crush wheat bisciut breakfast cereal into it! Made great bread so im guessing it'll make fine crackers!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:19:49 AM »
Thanks for sharing. I made my first cracker a few years back. I veggie cracker and the recipe simply said bake until golden brown. Well they were ROCKS! Apparently golden is an interpretive term.  ;D