Author Topic: Creme Fraiche starter?  (Read 2850 times)

LadyLiberty

Creme Fraiche starter?
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:01:29 PM »
How would I do that?  Thanks :)

wharris

Re: Creme Fraiche starter?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 11:45:51 PM »
You can try here.  Although I'm no expert at Creme Fraiche.

Although,  since you already made some that looked wonderful, the thought occurs to me that i may not fully understand your question.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:10:49 AM »
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, as there are several meanings to a Fraiche, depending on where it originates.

I have a base recipe for a fromage frais as a sweet dessert, which uses as the base either a Quarg or Cream cheese.

Add 50gr of sugar to 250gr of either Quarg or cream cheese and blend in. Slowly blend in 50gr of pureed apricots.  Cover and refridgerate.

HTH

LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 02:33:30 AM »

Although,  since you already made some that looked wonderful, the thought occurs to me that i may not fully understand your question.

I said that wrong, silly me, I meant a starter culture.

I haven't made a culture yet, and don't know how to go about doing that.  I'm not sure what creme fraiche culture would fall under...  would it be the same process that you do for mesophillic culture?

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 02:48:37 PM »
There are Mesophilic & Thermophilic Starter Culture "Recipes" here that will get you going if you don't have any Store Bought Manufactured Ones. I used those recipes for my first ~15 cheeses until I graduated and ordered some.

brent

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 06:10:40 AM »

I said that wrong, silly me, I meant a starter culture.

I haven't made a culture yet, and don't know how to go about doing that.  I'm not sure what creme fraiche culture would fall under...  would it be the same process that you do for mesophillic culture?

hi lady
did you find how to make the starter as i have a recipe that requires it aswell and am lost on the creme fraiche starter
regards
brent

Tea

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:06:27 PM »
Hi Brent, if I remember correctly, I thought Lady said that she found a fraiche starter at cheesemaking.com.  I think it was successful and she was using it for mascapone.

brent

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
thanks that seems to be a ready made starter  ill have another serch for a recipe for it (the starter) ;D ;D