Author Topic: Dark Blue / Green Mould forming - please help!!  (Read 3120 times)

tedrogers

Dark Blue / Green Mould forming - please help!!
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:57:11 AM »
Hi all,

I took a look at my peppered cheddar this morning, which has been ageing the fridge at 10 degrees C / 50 F (this is the best I can do I'm afraid), and it's got dark blue / green mould forming on the top.

It's been through various stages of being pressed, air dried, brined and covered in the fridge since August (nearly two months now) to prevent it from drying out too quickly, and a few days ago it looked and smelled fine before I turned it.

I suppose I want to know a few things:

1. Is this mould a bad mould?
2. If it is a bad mould, can I save it?
3. If this is a good mould, should I encourage it, and how?
4. Is it basically 'ready' to consume after only 2 months?
5. What could have caused this contamination? I always steralise my hands with anti-bacterial hand soap, and shake my hands dry before handling the cheese. Could it have come from the cheese matt? The side which now has mould on it was in contact with the cheese matt a few days ago when I inspected and turned it.

I'm hoping to get an answer on this before the end of the day (It's approximately 11am in the UK at the moment) so I can set about fixing it tonight.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Dark Blue / Green Mould forming - please help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
I am not an expert BUT I have had this happen and have asked for help.  Mostly I've learned that it's likely a sign of not enough air circulation and too much moisture, that mold is in the air all the time and is opportunistic.  It will likely be fine and your choices are to
1 brush it with a stiff brush
2 wipe it down with clean cloth moistened with a mix of salt brine and vinegar
3 scrub it with salt and brush that off
4 if really bad. ( yours doesn't look this bad to me) pare it off with cheese parer.
Note: the above are individual choices, not steps to go through

I am fond of something I do to keep the bottom of the cheese higher off the bottom of the box or shelf.  I put a clean upturned lid down first, then the cheese matting, then the cheese.  Make sure your matting weave actually allows air to travel horizontally instead of just trapping it in little squares.  It must be a true weave pattern rather than just a plastic grid.

Good luck!!!

tedrogers

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
Hi there,

Thanks for your assistance. I'll wipe it down tonight with salt and vinegar solution, and I'll probably rub salt on it and brush that off first.

It's peculiar you should refer to a lack of ventilation and high moisture, because when I last turned it a few days ago I closed the lid fully, probably trapping moist air inside.

From now on I will leave the lid only partially covered so as to offer protection from other food particles that may fall onto it, but allow more air to circulate, or I may resort to my previous system of air drying with a loose bowl over the top on a chrome cake cooling tray.

All the best!

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
I also suggest brush it back first, then give it a brine wipe.  I bought a cheap nail brush and use that to brush down moulds.  Looks good though.  Age it out to at least 6 months though.  You'll be well rewarded for your patience.

- Jeff

tedrogers

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Jeff.   This is only my 2nd ever cheese.

I have scrubbed it with salt, scrapped off the mould I can see....and I've rubbed in more salt and leaving it to air dry overnight.

Tomorrow I will brush off excess salt and go for more air drying without a lid! Should hopefully avoid moisture problems.

Tanks peeps!  O0