Author Topic: Dry Jack  (Read 9392 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Dry Jack
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 01:08:44 AM »
Yah, I can imagin that will be a tempting one.  Mind you, I think this rind/rub requires a fair aging time to do its thing so waiting might be the only way to really enjoy it. 

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 01:28:08 AM »
Sigh... I suppose.  Just how much effect does a flavored rind have on the flavor of the cheese?  Does any get sucked in, or just remain on the surface?  I couldn't taste the cider in paste of the Port Salut I just opened.

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 01:37:14 AM »
I have no idea! :)  It's not like a mould ripened cheese.  It may end up being mostly for show, or just as a protective layer, and also to impart an aroma, etc.  But, if it does impact upon flavour, I'm guessing it will take awhile to work its way into the interior. 

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 03:04:33 AM »
I imagine it interupts any mold growth aswell?

anutcanfly

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 05:47:41 PM »
Though it looks like a frosted cake, I have to say that this is a problem free cheese.  It just hangs out in the back room (55-60 degrees F) on a plate--no container needed, no mold.   The only thing I ever do with it is to flip now and then. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 05:51:12 PM »
Nice!  This is fast moving to the top of my list of things to try.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »
Just bumping this one back to get an update?  How is the rub holding out?  Or, did this get eaten, and if so, how was it? 

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »
A year or so ago I ate a cheese with an espresso roast dry rub rind....I thought it was pretty tasty, but really wasnt sure how much the espresso contributed to the overall flavor. As I read through this thread that cheese came to mind as well as wondering about the contribution of the chocolate.

Very interesting!  Please do give us an update!

anutcanfly

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
 ;D  I'm trying to hold out one more month!  It made not make it!  So far as I can tell it's held up well, but I've been very gentle when I brush mold away.  I have a camera again so I'll post pic's when I cut into it.  I'm very curious myself as to what the cocoa and espresso will do for the flavor.  Likely it will just make for a tasty rind.  :P

anutcanfly

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 11:48:19 PM »
Finally, opening day at last!  Ahhh yes, the flavor is very good.  There are the beginnings of crystals and the paste is as dry as I wanted, even using 4% milk.   I love chocolate and espresso, but found I didn't like those flavors with the cheese.  Even the tiniest specs left on the cheese give an intense burst of chocolate! The rind protected the cheese beautifully, but was very tough to plane off!

I'm going to run this cheese again, but with 2% milk.  I'll use Paracoat instead of the cocoa rub.

JeffHamm

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 02:46:47 AM »
Wow!  That looks fantastic anut!  A cheese to you.  I definitely must make this.  I've been thinking about it for some time, but that's as far as I've gotten to this point.  As soon as I have some room in my cave I'll have to do this up.  Nice.

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 02:49:53 AM »
amazing job! Not only does it look very professional, but it looks really tasty as well!

I am going to try an espresso rind one of these days. I ate a cheese a year or so ago with an espresso rind and I really enjoyed it.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 04:33:10 AM »
Anut, can you characterize the flavor? It looks like a Grana or Parm. How will you use it?

I can feel my tastebuds stretching towards the monitor screen. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 01:44:18 AM »
Thanks guys  :)

It's hard to cut it without getting specks of rind changing the flavor profile, but I did okay I think.  It's not the same as Dry Jack I've bought.  The texture and crystal crunchies remind me most of Dubliner cheese.  A mix of Parm and ?.  When I get a chance I'll buy some to compare with as the flavor is similar too I think.  It's been awhile since I've had any. 

Boofer, I'll thank you to keep your tastebuds on your side of the monitor please!  ;)

bbracken677

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 02:39:15 AM »
I really love Dubliner...if I could make something like that I would be in mouse heaven!