Author Topic: Hi from Alabama  (Read 5486 times)

stuartjc

Re: Hi from Alabama
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 04:09:30 AM »
... you guys are *amazing*. Thank you  :)

Funnily enough, CH/John, as I also make pickles and preserves, I have a large quantity of that very brand of pickling salt  ;D

stuartjc

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 05:39:10 AM »
well, there is a mass of curds sitting in the press with a gallon of water sitting on top of it, the whey is still in the pot so that I can make ricotta out of it tomorrow, and it's very late so I am off to bed.

Speak to y'all tomorrow!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 05:43:53 AM »
What cheese are you making? Stilton?

stuartjc

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 02:35:36 PM »
farmhouse Cheddar

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 07:21:50 PM »
Did you add cream to get a better set or did your recipe call for it? Where did you get your recipe from?

stuartjc

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 08:41:42 PM »
the recipe came with the booklet with the kit I bought from leeners.com. The milk recipe is an adaptation of the recipe here: http://schmidling.com/milk.htm - I used 2 gal skim milk, 1 qt heavy whipping cream, 1.5tsp CaCL in 2tbsp filtered & boiled-to-buggery tap water.

I know my temp control has been a bit all over the place, so I will not take this first batch as being not representative of what I will be making when my temp control is better!

But this is what I love about cooking. Just for background, I have been cooking for my friends and family since I was about 14 years old, and am now 40 years. Since moving to the USA, I have started making jam, preserves, pickles, relishes, sausages, bread, cakes, cookies, and am now branching out to cheese making.

I love cooking.. because you eat the proceeds  ;D ;D