Author Topic: Forgot Lipase  (Read 2408 times)

jawdog

Forgot Lipase
« on: January 15, 2012, 02:14:12 AM »
I just made a Romano with 8 gallons of cow's milk.  As I was waiting for rennet to set (@2.5 floc), I noticed the lipase still sitting in its bowl.  I waited until I cut the curd and added the lipase into the whey.  Then I proceded to stir & cook.  Any idea what's going to happen?  Will it actually flavor the cheese?

Also, this is my first cheese to be pressed with Carter's pneumatic press.  Really easy to use.

John

janij

Re: Forgot Lipase
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:39:32 AM »
I think I would have just left it out.  I would be curious to hear if it incorporated into the curd after they were cut.  Let us know.

jawdog

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:25:28 AM »
I have a feeling that it will be rather bland.  I plan to make another soon (and hopefully get it right).

This one is in the brine.  I will have to see what it is like an a month or so to see how long to age.

Crossing my fingers...

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:45:07 AM »
Lipase is an enzyme not a flavoring. I have made the same mistake a couple of times and added lipase after curd cut. It will be just fine.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:19:04 AM »
BTDT it'll work! Lipase is very forgiving unlike your bacterial cultures.

jawdog

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  This place is such a valuable resource.  I don't post often; but, I read frequently.

John

janij

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 03:12:26 PM »
I am grateful too.  I would have never known you could add it later.