Author Topic: bloomy rind chevre,can it be turned around  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Littlest Goat

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
bloomy rind chevre,can it be turned around
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:50:46 PM »
I have my 1st mold ripened chevre going right now but from reading various posts I think I am not doing things right.I fallowed recipe from Fias Co farms for St Maure.After draining it has you put the cheeses on a mat in a gallon zip-lock bag puffed up with air and sealed.It seems to be quite moist in there and I get the feeling that is not what I should be doing.
    what I did so far: 2 qts raw goat milk(12 and 24 hrs old) brought to 72F,added 1/8 teas. MA 100,1/5 drop double strength rennet,and 1/8 teaspoon PC.Set in warm spot 24 hr.Gently ladled curds into 2 round chevre molds and 2 pyramid molds and drained on bamboo mat 48 hrs,on counter.Open(top) end of molds beginning to grow white fuzz.Unmolded cheeses and did the thing with gallon zip-lock bag.
    Did not rub salt on surface.At this time about 36 hours later no  mold showing on cheese surfaces.
   Should I pull cheeses out of zip-lock,salt and leave on counter on mat lightly covered to facilitate mold growth?Other suggestions of what I should do next?ok that is all my questions for now.Thanks for any help.

Cheese Head

Re: bloomy rind chevre,can it be turned around
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »
Hi Littliest Goat

Your Sainte-Maure cheeses should not be in a sealed container (ziplock bag) as they are young and will be evaporating moistures from the sides and still draining whey out the bottom resulting in excessively high humidity which will with puddles of water could result in unwanted yeast infections.

Suggest you do as proposed, remove and dry salt all surfaces as per your recipe and put in a ripening container where you can control the humidity such that you get no condensation.

Also, for next batch frisbee the sushi mats which can easily harbour molds and yeasts to your next make and buy some food grade plastic ones.

Hope helps, pictures would help, there's a How To Attach in the FAQ Board, again welcome!

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »
Hi Littlest Goat.  The biggest problem I have had with this type of cheese its getting it to dry out sufficiently which then causes it to break down under the rind too quickly.  So as John said leave it in a cool dry place for 48 hours or so until the surface dries out to touch, then is can go into a humid maturing area (room or plastic container etc.)

You need to salt them before the rind starts to grow.

Good luck.

NVD

Offline Littlest Goat

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:40:55 AM »
oh yay!Thanks you guys.For the "cool dry" place ,what sort of temps?And for the humid maturing area what sort of temps and humidity?And I was reading somewhere on this forum a discussion about aging bloomy rind cheese on straw.At what point would a cheese be put on the straw?Also what stage would the stage I am at with these cheeses be called?i.e rind development ,aging?

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:13:02 AM »
I can only tell you what I do so maybe others might chip in with suggestions but:

Dry the cheese surface at 18-20oC.  I live on the edge of a rainforest and this time of year humidity is about 100% ( we have had about 100mm/day for the past week!) so I have an air con room set at 20oC.  For me I can not get the air too dry but from memory I think around 60%(??).  If you search on here someone will have said something about it...

Straw?  I would shy away from straw - potentially too many contaminants. Dry them on some sort of plastic matting that can be washed.  Also raise the cheeses up so you get good air circulation.

So the cheese has been demoulded and now you are 'air drying' the surface before they go into the maturing room.

NVD.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »
I don't get the whole Ziploc bag thing. Dry the living daylight out of this thing as fast as you can.  Mould should appear in the 4th or 5th day. If it's anywhere before that - that's too early and the cheese is either too warm or too moist (or both).

Salting must happen as soon as you get them out of the moulds. The salt doesn't just use the moisture to flavor the cheese by cycling into the paste of the cheese by way of osmosis, it also uses that osmosis process to hasten the expelling of the excess whey and moisture out of the cheese and creating the rind. Additionally, it protects the cheese from foreign contamination of most of the bad stuff we don't want here, which is often salt-sensitive.

Drying stage of 12-36 hours is needed (less if you pre-drained the curd in cheesecloth). Ideal is about 65°F/18°C and 85% RH, with light draft (like a small fan, but not blowing directly on the cheese). Turn the cheese 2-3 times during this period and every day until they are aged. Rub/tap/tighten them as needed when they begin to bloom. You don't want this premature thick rind. It needs to bloom late and be thin.

Straw is a wonderful medium to age this cheese. In fact many traditional and industrial makers in France do that. It gives color and aroma to the cheese. The straw also serves as a wick, helping with the removal of excess moisture from the cheese during aging. Over-used, treated, improperly clean or contaminated straw could be a headache, infecting your cheese with undesired rind developments of competing yeasts and fungi. (Though nothing your cheese won't survive, unless this is straw treated with chemicals). It is still better on straw than on plastic mats in any rate.
Do not use treated straw (like place mats, decorative straw fixtures or baskets, etc.) Use the stuff made for cheesemaking (Convince your local cheese shop to sell yo some) or stuff you pick up at a local farm. Buckwheat and rye make the best aging straws.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 02:39:45 AM »
Any chance of getting a pic of this straw in use?  I like the idea of it.  I don't like the idea of trying to convince my 'safe food auditor' that it is ok!

I have terrible problems trying to dry out my cheeses so anything I can do to help will be great.

NVD

Offline Littlest Goat

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »
iratherfly-thanks for the detailed information.I got the cheeses out of the zip-lock and rubbed salt(kosher) on the all surfaces.Then let them dry for 48 hours at about 65F.I think my RH was lower and did not know to turn them.Then rubbed a little more salt and put them in a plastic container on a plastic mat on some bamboo skewers to raise the mat up a bit(just working with limited supplies here)and put in spot that is around 50F.Checked after 24 hours ,only bloom is on end that was up when cheeses were in molds.Conditions in plastic box are pretty dry.Am wondering if I should introduce a little moisture.My understanding is aging should be around 50-55F and 85-90% humidity.And are these conditions for after the bloom has occurred?
   Yesterday,on goat forage walk,I picked some Great Basin Ryegrass(not related to cereal rye,but has good "straw")which was nice and clean and dry.I will put that in "aging" container today.
    I will turn each day.
  And one more question for now-- what is a bloomy rind chevre w/o ash named?
     Thanks again,I will have more questions.

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:07:13 AM »
Sorry for replying so late. Haven't been on in a couple of weeks.

Littlest Goat - No problem! did the new regiment work out for you?  Don't despair; the good thing about this is that eventually you just kind of learn to ballpark what 90% RH looks like. Small beads around the box cover is what you are looking for. Not big enough to drop on the cheese as water droplets. Just open or close the lid enough to respond to the condition of the cheese as you see it.
Bloomy chèvre without ash - there are many of those out there: Crottin, Chabichou, Pouligny-saint-pierre (this one comes in ash or no-ash versions), Caprino, Cabécou, Bûcheron, Sainte Maure (with or without ash), Coupole, Bijou, Cremont, Caña de Cabra, ... I can name about a million more

NimbinValleyDairy I believe I have posted these before.  If you need to dry stuff more (I know you live in an extremely hot/humid area) than I suggest open air, straw and fans. See photo below this post.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 07:16:17 AM »
Thanks iratherfly.  Unfortunately my Safefood auditor would have a fit if he saw the straw.  Fans and air-con seem to be working for me now.  The other important thing I think is to have a 0.2 pH drop before renneting.  This seemed to work a treat.  Basically if there is too much water in there before draining it is bloody difficult to get it out - fans or straw or aircon not withstanding.

Thanks for the pics.  They looked great.

NVD.

Offline Littlest Goat

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 05:07:23 AM »
thanks to the advice from here I ended up with 4 yummy cheeses.Ate the last 2 at 24 and 26 days.They had a nice creamy pate and great flavor.I now have another batch going this time with ash I made from applewood.Once again ripen/aging on straw.
   I have 2 more questions.If I bag drain instead of scooping curds directly into molds what is the forming procedure after all is drained?Hand forming?or then putting in molds?How much would that change texture?
  And what are differences of rubbing salt on the the cheese after draining vs using a fully saturated brine?

zvisaar

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »
 8)i use to any blooming cheese-(P.CANDIDUM)  metal netcurving at to make it have like small legs,as the cheese needs air circulation and when its touches the surface the blooming is disturbed. the net should be very delicate and turn the cheese every day for about 10 days till its blooming

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 12:30:44 PM »
"If I bag drain instead of scooping curds directly into molds what is the forming procedure after all is drained?Hand forming?or then putting in molds?How much would that change texture?"

You can either hand form or mould. What I do if I bag drain, is ladle the curds into the bag in slices, then ladle the drained curds into the mould, keeping to the original direction of slicing as much as possible. The same can be done for hand forming. This way, there's less curd break-up. I find that if I just scoop haphazardly from bag to mould then the resulting cheese is grainier than I like.

iratherfly

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »
thanks to the advice from here I ended up with 4 yummy cheeses.Ate the last 2 at 24 and 26 days.They had a nice creamy pate and great flavor.I now have another batch going this time with ash I made from applewood.Once again ripen/aging on straw.
   I have 2 more questions.If I bag drain instead of scooping curds directly into molds what is the forming procedure after all is drained?Hand forming?or then putting in molds?How much would that change texture?
  And what are differences of rubbing salt on the the cheese after draining vs using a fully saturated brine?
Awesome!
After drain, I usually empty the bowl of whey (or preserve it) and then unload the curd onto it in one piece. I then ladle the curd into the moulds, using a ladle that is the same size as the mould. There are a million ways to do this but this is my favorite because it keeps the curd attached and intact. The final texture of the cheese should break in fissures along those layers of curd. If you mid the curd, scoop it by hand or break it too much then your final aged cheese texture will be more dense fragile, crumbly. It will break and crash rather than tear and fissure.

Here is a Crottin I just opened last week. Notice the horizontal fissure lines on the curd? This is what you want. If you tamper too much with the curd you will lose that and have what I was describing above. In short, ladle it.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »
Hi iratherfly.  Do you remove any whey before you ladle? Your crottin pics show the cheeses as being quite high so I am thinking you started with a hoop bigger than the standard crottin hoop.  (I am assuming this is goat milk)

NVD