Author Topic: John's Cheese #033 - Blue Cheese #3 (Stilton Style)  (Read 17776 times)

Likesspace

Re: John's Cheese #033 - Blue Cheese #3 (Stilton Style)
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2009, 03:10:50 AM »
John,
Just took a look at your last photo and I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with this cheese.
I went back through my notes and found that I've made a mistake on my last two Stilton style cheeses.
It seems that on the one that formed the good brown rind, I smoothed the surface BEFORE any bluing began to appear on the surface. On my last two I've tried smoothing the surface after a good coating of blue had already formed.
On my six week old Stilton the rind never formed as it should have. Instead I have this white/blue/brownish rind that is extremely hard but not as a Stilton rind should be. I'm thinking now that the key to forming this rind is smoothing before the bluing begins and I'd say that your example should either prove or disprove this theory.
The cheese does look good and I'm looking forward to seeing how it forms over the next few weeks.
If the surface begins to wrinkle and darken then you are well on your way to one of the best examples of blue cheese you've ever tasted.

Dave

Cheese Head

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2009, 04:09:31 AM »
Dave, thanks for encouragment, it's the first blue style cheese that I've smoothed the surface to seal the cheese and will be waiting so long to pierce.

I just checked my old records and:
  • My Blue #1 in May 2008 was pressed but never smoothed, I got a bit of brown rind but nothing as great as yours.
  • My Blue #1 in June 2008 was also pressed and definately not smooth, I got a little bit of brown rind, adding more proof to your idea that smoothing enables first a blue mold rind and then a harder brown rind.

Also, smoothing/sealing the rind stops air from entering the pate of the cheese thereby not allowing any blue mold growth until pierced, question is why wait 5-6 weeks? I think the to allow the normal aging of the cheese with the meso culture, before you pierce and let the blue mold take over.

If it wasn't for you-all on this forum I would have never learnt about that smoothing for Stilton's.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2009, 04:39:25 AM »
Well you're on your way. Isn't it weird John in person how blue the mold actually is?

Cheese Head

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2009, 06:00:25 PM »
Carter, agree, the photos on this forum don't do it justice, to see your pure white cheese be taken over by a very dramatic turquoise blue is amazing.

I wonder why some store bought blue cheeses are more green than turqoise blue? Maybe it's a sign of age, I don't know as mine never make it that far, yum!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Could be age, but I think the store bought strains are only two in number PV and PJ. PV is more aggresive. Plus the cheese from the super market, they may use only natural blue out of the cave they're in, so maybe it's not so pure?

Tea

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
Looking good John, keep the pics coming.

Cheese Head

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 11:19:47 PM »
Could be age, but I think the store bought strains are only two in number PV and PJ. PV is more aggresive. Plus the cheese from the super market, they may use only natural blue out of the cave they're in, so maybe it's not so pure?

Huh? What is PV and PJ?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 12:04:14 AM »
PV is a fast acting very piquent strain and PJ is a slower less flavorful strain. Grunting is heavy strain...LOL

Cheese Head

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 12:40:32 AM »
Thanks, didn't know there are two strains of Penicillium roqueforti.

How did you know/where did you get them from?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2009, 12:45:10 AM »
You told me.

Most of the cheese suppliers have both strains. Just as there are 6 regular strains of Penicillum candidum. They are HP6: Classic Strains, VS - Classic Strains, VB - Classic Strains, NEIGE: Classic Strains, ABL: Special Strains and SAM3: Anti mucor Strains.

Tea

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2009, 02:17:13 AM »
At cheeselinks they have two strains of blue.  One is the strong flavour (blue) and one is milder in flavour (green).  Not sure if this is what you are talking about?

Cheese Head

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2009, 03:46:58 AM »
Thanks Tea

DairyConnection.com that says that PV strain is strong taste and Blue green colour vs Cheeselinks.com that says that string flavour has lighter presumably greener colour!

Guess just have to try both ;D. That is if I have enough money as these are very expensive molds and so far my ground up store bought blue cheese works fine as an innoculant!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
Amen to that, they are expensive.

Cheese Head

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2009, 12:57:17 AM »
Picture #6 . . .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:31:48 AM by John (Cheese Head) »

chilipepper

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2009, 03:00:58 AM »
Yeah baby!! I would definately say your P.Roqueforti was in good health! :)