Author Topic: John's Cheese #033 - Blue Cheese #3 (Stilton Style)  (Read 17725 times)

Likesspace

Re: John's Cheese #033 - Blue Cheese #3 (Stilton Style)
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2009, 03:55:33 AM »
Wow John, that's pretty amazing!
I've never had a wheel that had that heavy of a coating of blue mold!
Hopefully it will begin to die back over the next week or so. Once it does so, it's time to give a few good "pokes".

Dave

Cheese Head

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2009, 12:38:05 AM »
Dave, see picture below, blue mold hasn't died back, no nice browning like yours :-\, thus took your advice and took out my poker and give it a good poking ;D.

Surprisingly, and good news, I could feel the a few vacancies in eth cheese as I was poking it.

Also surprisingly, after a few pokes, the fun wares off and it becomes a chore as there is probably now 100 holes around the side of this cheese! Fellow, CFO's, we need someone to invent a blue cheese poker!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:02:00 AM by John (Cheese Head) »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2009, 01:51:09 AM »
It's weird that the rind hasn't wrinkled.

Cheese Head

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2009, 11:48:10 AM »
Carter, lots of bumper stickers around here saying "Keep Austin Weird" so I guess this is now my Austin Stilton ;).

That said I really don't have a good feel for why it looks so different from Likesspace (Dave's) more beautiful Stilton's, I think it's in the method more than the ingredients. Jury is still out on the taste & internal appearance . . .

Cheese Head

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2009, 12:46:27 AM »
Today I wrapped my Stilton in tin foil for longer term aging . . .

Likesspace

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2009, 02:09:24 AM »
John,
I'm really looking forward to seeing this cheese once you open it.
P. Roq. is a very expensive mold and you've definately gotten my interest by using store bought blue as your starter culture.
Looks good so far!

Dave

Captain Caprine

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2009, 05:01:19 AM »
You guys and your Teddy Bears.
CC

Cheese Head

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2009, 12:20:40 AM »
Finally cut this now 86 day old Stilton Style Blue Cheese.

Outside appearance is frankly very similar to when wrapped it 54 days ago, except for some rings on side, probably where pierced. Outside feel was dry but very slightly slippery on top, little moist I guess.

Cut the cheese, well partially cut and cracked rest of way as you can see from pictures below, (need to buy wire type cheese cutter). Interior blueing in parts where vacancies including needling, but not elsewhere. Smells and tastes great, not super strong blue taste, nice and creamy, not soft, cuts but also cracks and is slightly crumbly.

Next time I need to get more freedoms into the pate for more blueing, presumably by cooking the curds more.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2009, 12:33:17 AM »
As long as it tastes too that's all that matters. Did you press this at all in the mold. Usually the voids come from air spaces that happen inbetween chunks of curd. If the curds are really soft the next day when you break it up that could be the problem.

Cheese Head

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2009, 02:36:11 AM »
This batch nailed up on me like cream cheese. No pressing, well did press to get the darn thing out of the hoop. Next time I think I'll cook more to get firmer cut curds.

chilipepper

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2009, 08:39:27 PM »
Looks great John!  I'm counting the days until I can crack my first Stilton. I pierced on 3/4/09 and told myself I'd wait it out for the month after piercing...

I too think that if your curd knitted so tight that you'll have a tough time getting the good veining but if it tastes good... it's all in the name of research and development!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 12:09:56 AM »
I've got another month or so on one of my stiltons. I wait usually 4-6 months before opening...but I wanna open it NOW, waiting is the hardet part...Dam you Tom Petty, Dam you all to hell!