Author Topic: Wax - Mold Underneath, Causes & Solutions  (Read 1885 times)

lynns

Wax - Mold Underneath, Causes & Solutions
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:17:31 PM »
hi - i am new to cheesemaking.  i have been making farmhouse cheddar, pressed, air dried, waxed, and aging in my root cellar.  yesterday i cut into 1 month old farmhouse cheddar.  good smell and taste, just starting to obtain the cheddar taste.  i removed all the wax to slice it and found mold on the inside of the wax and the cheese.  please help - what went wrong?  thanks.

zenith1

Re: Wax - Mold Underneath, Causes & Solutions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »
Hi Lynns- it is very difficult to not wind up with some pinholes in your wax. Pinhole=route for contamination. When you wax your wheels do you apply more than 1 coat?If I where going that route I would use two coats in the minimum. I would say that is the route of your problem. Waxing can be done successfully with care. You can cut off the offending area/wipe your wheel down with  brine or white vinegar, air dry at RT and re-wax to continue aging if you wish.

lynns

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
thanks keith.  i guess i need to check all the wheels just to make sure.  i brushed 2 coats of wax to each.  maybe i should dip several times in lieu of brushing? 

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:11:24 PM »
sometimes works better, but really is a matter of personal choice. When I waxed in the past I dipped the wheel in the wax-usually two coats.

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:36:58 AM »
Hi lynns,

I use a yellow/orange wax, which is relatively transparent.  If mould starts to form under the wax, I can see it.  This allows me to perform "key hole surgery", and cut a small hole in the wax, scrape the mould off, and rewax to seal the hole.  Often, if a small hole forms in the first layer even your second coat will seem to flow around the hole.  So, after the wax hardens a bit, scan the surface looking for holes.  If you see one, blob some wax in and make sure you plug it.  I've come to expect that I'll miss a few, and just keyhole until the mould stops showing up underneath.  I don't mind doing it.  I have a vac sealer, but still use wax as well.

- Jeff

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:37:46 AM »
Two ideas:

- Use wax with some natamycin in it to help with mold control if you want
- Dip. Brushing is not so effective because you never really achieve a solid coat. If you dip with 2 coats or so, that usually does the job.

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »
And if you dip it in hot wax that kill rind "visitors".
When you brush, wax is maybe not hot enough when it goes to cheese.

Hande

lynns

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »
thanks to everyone who responded - great info and very helpful.  lynns

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
Hi lynns and welcome to the forum.

In your profile your location is "usa". That's a pretty broad location.
Any chance you'd care to narrow it down a bit? Just curious where you hail from.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.