I very seldom will toss a cheese. Even if it hasn't aged to "perfection", I will crack it open and taste it. Sometimes I will grate it up or just eat it as is as a "young cheese". Colby's and cheddars aren't that bad with some salami on crackers when eaten before their time
I think you have caught the mold in time. Sometimes, mold develops whether you have a good seal or not. I use a cream wax first as a mold inhibitive, and then hard wax it a few days later. But, even with that method, I still get some mold under the wax at times. It has to do more with moisture than contamination.
Good luck with your cheeses.