Author Topic: Pressed Cheese - Mold Under Wax, Recommendations?  (Read 1648 times)

nzw tom

Pressed Cheese - Mold Under Wax, Recommendations?
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »
I made my first batch of cheese (Colby). It has been aging for about a month and a half.

I waxed the cheese (brushed on). The cheese has developed black spots, just under the wax (must not have been a good seal). Next time I will dip the cheese in the wax. Do you think the cheese is still good? Should I finish letting it age, then peel the wax off and put vinegar on it? What should I do?

Thanks,

Tom

Oberhasli

Re: Pressed Cheese - Mold Under Wax, Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
Hi Tom,

If it were me, I would peel off the wax and treat the black mold spots with vinegar and salt.  I usually take a toothbrush and scrub the spots with the vinegar/salt mixture.  I would let it air dry for a day or so and then re-wax.  I have done that many times with cheeses.  I dip my cheeses in the wax to get a more uniform looking outer coating.  But, it does get very slippery  :o

Bonnie

nzw tom

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:42:44 PM »
Thank you so much. I will do that. I was worried that I may have to toss it.

Oberhasli

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:13:08 PM »
 Tom,

I very seldom will toss a cheese.  Even if it hasn't aged to "perfection", I will crack it open and taste it.  Sometimes I will grate it up or just eat it as is as a "young cheese".  Colby's and cheddars aren't that bad with some salami on crackers when eaten before their time  :D

I think you have caught the mold in time.  Sometimes, mold develops whether you have a good seal or not.  I use a cream wax first as a mold inhibitive, and then hard wax it a few days later.  But, even with that method, I still get some mold under the wax at times.  It has to do more with moisture than contamination. 

Good luck with your cheeses.

Bonnie

wharris

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
I have taken to vacuum sealing hard cheeses, not waxing them.
I only wax them *after* they are aged, and then the wax is really only for aesthetics.

anarch

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »
I have taken to vacuum sealing hard cheeses, not waxing them.
I only wax them *after* they are aged, and then the wax is really only for aesthetics.

I'm going to try this next.  Do you use a regular food vacuum sealer?  I have the FoodSaver type, is this what you're talking about?

I have also had issues with aging cheddar types with the wax, I really dislike that I can't see the cheese through the wax.

wharris

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »
Yes, a standard food saver will suffice.