Author Topic: Pressing - Duration Of Pressings?  (Read 1988 times)

mspieg

Pressing - Duration Of Pressings?
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:22:53 AM »
Hi,
First time posting, thanks in advance for any help. I'm currently making cheddar according to the recipe from Ricki Carroll's book. It calls for pressing in the mold at 40lbs for 12 hours, followed by 50lbs for 24 hours. My problem is that I timed it badly, and as a result, the 12-hour mark is going to come while I'm at work tomorrow! I would probably not be able get it out of the press until 18 hours in the press.

Either that, or I press it for 7 hours at 40lbs, then switch to 50lbs 5 hours early.

Basically, it will go in the press at midnight tonight, so assuming I have to leave at 7am tomorrow morning, and wont be back until around 6pm, what is my best strategy? Or should I find some way to run back home at midday (not ideal since it would take me more than an hour round trip, at a minimum). Is there any flexibility here at all or will I end up ruining the cheese if I monkey with the durations?

Not sure if it matters but this is a raw milk cheddar.

Thanks!

.m

smilingcalico

Re: Pressing - Duration Of Pressings?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:57:51 AM »
Hey M,
  A little flex ain't the end of the world.  I'd lean more towards a shorter duration at 40 lbs.  The heavier weight for longer time will help more with curd fusing.

mspieg

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:01:00 AM »
Thanks Calico! And you dont think that it would cause it to fuse to quickly?

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:27:11 AM »
I've not heard of fusing too quick to be an issue, especially so late in the process.  Besides, at that point, the curds have cooled off to room temp, and the weight will be doing the work of the fusing.