Author Topic: Managing Linens in rindless blue cheese  (Read 2100 times)

Tomer1

Managing Linens in rindless blue cheese
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
Ive made Gorganzola dolce a few weeks ago, used probat 222 and PR culture (manufactured by dalton from italy) and a bit of lipase.
It was surface salted (about 3.5-4% salt by wight devided between two saltings) to promote a rindless cheese.

The trouble obviously originated from affinage mistakes , I was concerned about the dryness of the surface and increased the humidity (too much) but I think I managed to contain it with high proof distillate (140 proof) since it no longer produces a nasty sulfer-rot aromas. 

What is the proper way to age a rindless blue and maintain creaminess without too much surface moisture which may promote surface growth?
I was under the impression that the heavy salt gardient takes care of it but obviously it didnt or it least it only safe guards under optimal conditions.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Re: Managing Linens in rindless blue cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:03:48 PM »
Hi Tomer.  I have just started surface salting my blues this week so I will keep you posted on how they develop.  I am looking to develop a drier surface with a minimum of surface flora.

I used 2x 2% salt applications.

NVD

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 02:02:12 AM »
So maybe my cheese was meant to have a dry rind? the directions on cheesemaking.com were unclear regarding aging.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 02:35:33 AM »
Look I am no rind expert but I think a dry rind is what you are chasing.  Once it is dry the likelihood of breakdown and unwanted mould growth is reduced.  Most hard cheeses are air dried for a few days until it is dry to touch before they go into the maturing room.

Maybe some one would like to add further comments here?

NVD

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »
Yes but this is not a cheese where a hard rind is desirable ,im trying to conserve moisture = creamy texture.

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »
Im pleased to report that no harm is done!
The harse rotten-sulfer smell has been replaced with a mild fruity one and the rind is seems nice and dryish.
I repierced and the creaminess is there, flavor is developing nicely.  all is good ;)

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »
Well done, and good to hear.  A cheese for your save.

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »
I think high proof alcohol is a good dooms day weapon when you need to stop growth and all alse fails.

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »
I think high proof alcohol is a good dooms day weapon when you need to stop growth and all alse fails.

For the cheese, or the cheese maker? :)

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »

For the cheese, or the cheese maker? :)

- Jeff
Ah yes, cooking wine (or brandy). The wine that helps to lubricate and facilitate the cooking process.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.