Author Topic: Into the washed rind abyss . . .  (Read 1335 times)

Priestman

Into the washed rind abyss . . .
« on: January 19, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »
I have made a few posts here and there over the past year or so (I have a small sheep dairy in mid-state New Hampshire), and I have kept to producing just a couple of sheep's milk cheeses--an Osso-Iraty, an uncultured version of that same recipe, and, of course, Manchego.

But I've been out of milk for a couple of months, and idle hands being what they are, I decided to get some cow's milk from a local dairy and try my hand at something new.  I could not resist the lure of the washed rind cheese...

Pictured here on January 5 are four batches of washed rind cheeses from the end of December.  The lightest two rows at left are Muensters from December 28 and 30.  The two rows at right are Reblochons made earlier--December 21 and 22.

Following are the production notes.

Reblochons: Heat 4 gallons milk to 86 degrees.  Add 3/8 t MAII and 1/8 t B. Linens.  Let them reconstitute on the surface 5 minutes, then stir in gently.  Ripen 15 minutes.  Add 1 t rennet.  Cut into ½ inch cubes at 60 minutes.  Let rest 5 minutes, then very gently whisk for 3- 5 minutes to achieve pea-sized curd.  Heat from 86 degrees to 96 degrees over 30 minutes, stirring gently every five minutes or so.  Ladle whey out of pot to the top of the curd, then ladle curd into cheesecloth-lined molds—these are 4 inch molds.  Fill to top—about 6 inches or so—and let rest 30 minutes with no pressure.  Flip molds and repeat flips every 30 minutes to make 6 turns.  Add 5# weight and press for 8 hours.  Rub top and bottom with 1 t salt and put in aging room at 90% humidity and 55 degrees. A warmer room is recommended for aging these little guys, but I have other cheeses to tend to so I’m compromising.  Flip every day and wipe with 3% salt solution for a couple of weeks.  Reduce frequency of turning and washing until cheese is finished—6-15 weeks depending on 1) the depth of flavor desired, and 2) your patience.

The Muensters were done the same except:  1. No ripening after introduction of cultures.  2. Temperature for entire production was 89 degrees (no cooking, but same 30 minute interval from cutting curd to draining. 3. No weight was added after last flip.  4. Final flip is for 24 hours, not eight hours.

As always, any input is helpful.  I'll keep you apprised of their progress.  Also, considering making a run at a production similar to this, but without the B. Linens.  The cheesemaking with these recipes was very satisfying, and the smaller rounds were nice to handle. 

Best wishes,
Paul
THE BIG FARM Creamery
http://www.thebigfarmcreamery.com/

nmordo

Re: Into the washed rind abyss . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »
Hi  Paul --

I wish I could offer input, but I'm thinking I'm about to embark on my own Reblochon soon, so I was checking out your pics and notes for inspiration.  I'd love to hear how they turn out, and see a cross-section when you eventually cut into them.  When do you think you'll taste the first of these?

Priestman

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
So I cut into one about a month into it and things seem to be moving along.  See photo.  There's about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of very nice soft/smooth cheese developed just inside the rind--the pale yellowish part.  The core is brittle without being particularly dry. 

The flavor is good.  You get a little of that stinky cheese flavor in the nose and a little up front, then mostly a sort of fresh earthy taste.(?)

I'm not sure if this is how it works, but I'm hoping the smooth yellow will continue to develop and take over the rest of the cheese.  I'll cut into another at 60 days and see what we've got.  Good luck with yours, nmordo.

Paul
THE BIG FARM Creamery
http://www.thebigfarmcreamery.com/

Brie

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:38:20 AM »
Looks good; however, the paste should be more creamy. I've made a ton of the washed-rind cheeses and have found that they need to breathe outside of the cave every few days for about 1/2 hour--they need oxygen. Try it on your next go and keep us informed.