Author Topic: Teasing the Tomme (#5)  (Read 11792 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Teasing the Tomme (#5)
« on: January 19, 2012, 11:49:03 PM »
Realizing that a true Tomme may be crafted with skimmed milk, I decided to build in a little extra richness by using part skim and whole milk.

1 1/2 gallons Twin Brook Creamery 2% creamline milk
1 1/2 gallons Twin Brook Creamery whole creamline milk
1 gallon Cozy Vale Creamery whole raw milk

1/2 tsp MA4001 (LL,LC,LD,ST)
1/16 tsp LH
1/8 tsp PLA
1/32 tsp Mycodore
1/16 tsp LM057

1/2 tsp CACL
1/16 tsp dry calf rennet

Started this make 1/5/12:

Milk started out a tad bit high: pH 7.02 (milk was fresh: pulldate 1/21/12)

I wanted to try to shortcut a mother culture. Typically I have been just adding the dry cultures to the milk. This time I warmed a cup of milk and added the cultures to it. When it read pH 5.24, I added it to the kettle which was reading pH 6.98 @ 86F.

It still took almost 2 hours to reach pH 6.56 @ 86F, at which time I added the CACL and rennet, both dissolved in cold distilled water. Yes, 2012 will be the year I move to the mother.

Floc was in 16 minutes. I used a 3x multiplier.

Cut, rested 10 min, whisked to hazelnut-size, rested 10 min.
Washed with 1 1/2 gal 130F water, while raising kettle heat so that curds were cooked to 103F over 30 min.
Placed curds into Plyban-lined mold and pressed down into corners of mold.

Pressed in kettle, under whey, for 30 minutes using .75 lb wrench and 2 pulleys => 22 lbs. Flipped, stripped Plyban, and pressed naked under whey for 30 min. Got nubbins showing. Flipped, rotated wheel so nubbins weren't lined up with holes and pressed for 30 min. Flipped, rotated wheel, and pressed with level & piston weight alone => 11 lbs for 8 more hours (next morning).

pH 5.22: Into brine (pH 4.84) for 13 hours, flipped at midpoint.

Out of brine, dried with paper towels, placed into minicave, rested and dried at room temp for 2 days.

Into white cave with lid cracked @ 54F.

Today marks 2 weeks since I started this, my 40th cheese. The rind is different than I've seen before, so far. Seems like each of these Tommes have behaved differently. I intend to concentrate on washing with simple 3% brine to hydrate the rind, develop the linens, geo, and mycodore. At this point, it appears that the geo and mycodore may be coming out. There is a fine white dusting that appears to be a little gritty. I will keep that minimized.

I just wanted to point out that there are two ways I know of when "pressing under whey":
  • pressing down on the curds in the kettle with your hands or a flat weight while the warm whey still covers them.
  • pressing the curds in the mold while it sits in warm whey.
I choose the latter method and have pictured it here.

With this make, I may have been a little too aggressive with the pressure while under whey...hence, the candles on the cake, or nubbins.   :o :(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

zenith1

Re: Teasing the Tomme (#5)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:22:50 AM »
 nice looking Tomme Boofer. Thanks for the of the make and the photo's.

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 12:44:07 AM »
I thought the candles looked cool.  You should have left them on!  :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 02:44:34 AM »
Looking good Boofer.  I've yet to make a tomme, but I enjoy seeing how the one's people here make progress.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:11:22 AM »
Very calming rind treatment for me. Different than what I've done before and certainly non-standard. Not a complex rind, full of various colors of the rainbow.

I'm curious to find what profile this gives the cheese.

The pictures may seem slightly saturated with orange color. It is pretty deep color. I stopped washing a little over a week ago and now just rub it all around and air it out every other day. It still sits in its minicave so that the humidity is maintained. No foreign incursions. Well protected rind.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 01:22:27 AM »
Wow!  Where are my sun glasses?   8)  Ahh that's better.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 01:30:05 AM »
Ah, anut, you're killin' me!  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »
Whoa! I took the cheeses out to air this morning and for their morning rubdown...Holy cow, what a smell!!!  ::)

I opened the lid of this puppy and almost fell on my keester. I may have mentioned my sense of smell has been lagging of late...not this morning! I could not believe it. I've done cheeses with B. linens before, but this one stands out...way out! That's not to say it's a bad thing...just a little unusual.  ;)

I'll let it go for a bit to develop the paste and then brush it back. I have been just rubbing it for the past two weeks.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »
You might want to wait until the next time your wife is out of town to eat that cheese!  ;)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 04:01:28 AM »
Looks great Boofer. love the color. I got one that color once and I thought it was really kewl! i had ordered the wrong linens but loved the color.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 07:20:41 AM »
Thanks Debi. It really is nose-iferous.  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
I was chasing some other thread when I came across one of linuxboy's gems. It underscores what this rind is all about. I feel much better now.  :)

"It becomes basically straight b linens, which can be a cool rind if you manage it and lower the humidity so the b linens dies off and hardens."

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »
I looked at the wheel this morning and decided I needed to minimize the B. linens covering the wheel. Out came the cheese brush...and off came the orange veneer. Never done this procedure before. A bit of an education.  :-\

I feel better having removed most of the linens. When pressed, you can feel that the cheese is firm but not soft, and it gives slightly under modest pressure.

Today it seems like the cheese planets aligned themselves within the vacuum of space. It was vacuum-sealing day. I will monitor the wheel to ensure that it doesn't sweat or weep inside the bag. I don't expect it to, but then I have been surprised before.  :o

I'm targeting 3-6 months for this cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 08:51:26 PM »
Yum!  You have a nice collection going to look forward to.  Sorry you lost you're pretty color though.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 11:08:47 PM »
Yum!  You have a nice collection going to look forward to.  Sorry you lost you're pretty color though.
Hey, my cheeks are still rosy.  :)

Now I have some shelf space in the caves so I can redo Reblochon and/or Taleggio. The only one still hanging out in there is the sticky-rind Tilsit #2. There's a bit of an echo...echo...echo...when I look in there.  :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!