Author Topic: morbier wash confusion.  (Read 1568 times)

vbarr

morbier wash confusion.
« on: January 20, 2012, 01:26:03 AM »
Hi,  I am making my first Morbier using the recipe from Artisan Cheese Making at Home by Mary Karlin.  In her recipe, she calls for making a wash using b. linens, salt and water and wiping the cheese down once with that and then switching over to a simple brine applied twice a week for several weeks.  My confusion lies in that she states to save the b. linens wash for future use but does not say when that will used.  In reading two Morbier recipes here, one (Kelly's recipe) calls for the b. linens rub every other day and the other calls for the simple brine rub. My questions is, is one more effective than the other in producing the orange rind?  Is one more 'correct'?  Any elucidation would be very appreciated ^-^

btw... the two sides meshed very well together and veg. ash is really messy to work with, but I know the end result will be worth it  O0

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Re: morbier wash confusion.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:44:15 PM »
How did the Morbier turn out, I am trying my luck with one this week.  The wash info was confusing for me as well just wondering how your progress is.

ranaraza

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:50:25 AM »
Hi,  I am making my first Morbier using the recipe from Artisan Cheese Making at Home by Mary Karlin.  In her recipe, she calls for making a wash using b. linens, salt and water and wiping the cheese down once with that and then switching over to a simple brine applied twice a week for several weeks.  My confusion lies in that she states to save the b. linens wash for future use but does not say when that will used.

Kern

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:39:48 AM »
I don't know if b. linens will survive in a stored brine wash and some washed rind gurus may want to comment on this part.  Make sure that you never pour used wash back into unused wash or otherwise allow a path for anything wiped off a cheese to get back into the "virgin" wash.  This has the potential to cause some real nasties to develop.   :P

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:47:15 AM »
I think it's a spam post. Nevertheless. I believe linens can survive there? Not sure. Mine is just loitering around the cave waiting for a new cheese to come.