Author Topic: Issues with Controlling Humidity for Crottin  (Read 1906 times)

PeabodyCreamery

Issues with Controlling Humidity for Crottin
« on: January 21, 2012, 04:04:05 AM »
I've dug around trying to find a posting with a similar issue but didn't find one. Please forgive me if this is redundant and I'm just missing a helpful post somewhere.

I've just had my first shot at making a crottin style cheese and failed in many ways which I have figured out how to remedy except for controlling the humidity. 
I am now using a wine cellar fridge style appliance to control the temp with the cheese in a glass tupperware type of thing with a lid.  I've tried putting a glass of water right near the fan that blows into the cellar, in the corner etc.  I've also used a few bottles filled with frozen water to help the temp stay more consistent and hoping that the melting ice would cause some condensation and therefore more humidity in the cellar.  I can't for the life of me get the humidity over 70%.  I'm using a hygrometer with a probe that I put inside the cellar and have moved around to try and find the spot with the most consistency for the best reading.
I'm also questioning whether or not it is reading accurately because the last time I had water in the bottom of the container and there was plenty of condensation build up but it rarely read over 70% (it spiked into the high 80s once or twice when I put ice in to bring the temp down).
I'm considering getting a small humidifier and finding a way to pipe in the humidity (the cellar is much to small to put it inside).
I feel like maybe I'm missing some basic step or piece of knowledge here that I should know. 
Has anyone had success in controlling humidity in a small container? I would love to hear your stories.

linuxboy

Re: Issues with Controlling Humidity for Crottin
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:23:17 AM »
Which hydrometer are you using? Might well be that your readings are off. It should be possible to tell humidity based on cheese progress.

Honestly, after you have a heavy bloom, humidity is not as crucial. It's more about preventing too rapid drying at that point.