Author Topic: Cottage Cheese Making - Room Temperature?  (Read 4264 times)

Roo

Cottage Cheese Making - Room Temperature?
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:08:24 PM »
I plan on making my first cheese and it is going to be the cottage cheese from the recipe section. 

It says to let sit at a room temperature of 70 degrees for 20 hours.  We find it very hard to turn up the thermostat that far in the winter, we are more in the 62-65 range for most of the day.  Will this lower temperature be detrimental to the cheese, or is it a case of letting it go longer time wise?

Cheese Head

Re: Cottage Cheese Making - Room Temperature?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:38:50 PM »
Roo, good question.

Room temperature is not the same in all places around the world, average year round room temp here in Houston is 73 winter and 78F summer and only because we have 2 large air conditioning units and a big power bill especially in summer, otherwise we would average room temperatures in the 90-100's in August.

I have not made cottage cheese but based on experience with many other cheeses, I think at your temperature range it is not a significant problem, but culture growth will be lower. Thus it would help if you can you sit it over something warm for that time, like hot air duct from heating, back of fridge, or in pre-warmed oven like done with Yogurt Making.

Good luck!

Erin

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 09:35:41 PM »
 I think at your temperature range it is not a significant problem, but culture growth will be lower.

Would leaving the cheese out in the room longer work just as well? To give time for more culture growth?

Likesspace

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:22:33 PM »
Erin...
It's been a long time since I've made cottage cheese but honestly I don't think you would need to leave it any longer than the recipe calls for.
Room temperature is a relative thing but when you are leaving milk to ripen for such an extreme amount of time, something is going to happen.
I don't know the exact temps when I made my first (and last) cottage cheese, but I'd guess somewhere in the 66- 70 degree range. Everything turned out perfectly by following the recipe.
My kids have been asking me to make another for the last year or so, but there seems to always be another cheese that catches my attention. So many cheeses, so little time. :-)
Back to room temperature being a relative thing, I love Heineken which is supposed to be served at room temperature. I've always said that as long as the room is around 38 degrees F. I can go along with that.  ;D

Dave

Roo

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:41:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I stared this today, and have it in the oven as per John's suggestion. 
This is really exciting for me, and I hope all goes well!  Man I can not wait.  What is the worst that can happen  . . . . . right?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:50:20 PM by Roo »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 04:05:08 AM »
You throw it out?

Roo

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:51:57 PM »
You throw it out?

May be what has to happen. 
Took a peek at it this morning, and it looks just like when I put it in there. Still very much liquidy.  I used the recipe from home cheese making and she says it will be very loose curds.  Not sure what 12 more hours will do, but we will find out.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:34:02 PM »
Sorry can't help never made cottage cheese before. But keep us posted on what does happen and what eventually it looks like so the rest of us can learn from it. Thanks.