Author Topic: butterkase recipes  (Read 2493 times)

margaretsmall

butterkase recipes
« on: January 21, 2012, 04:53:56 AM »
I'vee been following Jeff's butterkase makes with interest and thought I'd progress from Havarti to this, as the process seems similar. The recipe in 200 Easy Cheeses uses only thermo while Jeff uses both thermo and meso -I'm attracted to simplicity!  What is the advantage in using both kinds of culture?
Margaret

JeffHamm

Re: butterkase recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:12:18 AM »
Hi Margaret,

I've based my make off a number of different recipes, most of which used both meso and thermo.  It doesn't make it more complicated to make since adding culture isn't complicated.  However, my thoughts are that the flora danica will add buttery notes and such that will be missing in a thermo only version.  Now, that being said, I've not made the 200 Homemade ... version so I don't know how it would compare.

Note, in my 4th, and most recent make, I've changed the make again by adding the LH and the b.linens, so it's not really a butterkase anymore.  I would stick with the notes from my 2nd and 3rd make in terms of ingredients.  Then again, you might find it more fun to go back to the thread where a few of us were discussing Butterkase and we listed 3 or 4 recipes, and I think I posted my thinking as for how I came to the procedure I did.  You might make some different choices than I did, and come up with your own version (especially if you combine in the 200 HMCR to the list).

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you decide upon and to see how it turns out for you.

- Jeff

george

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »
Margaret, I made it based on the recipe in 200 Easy, except I stole a page from Jeff's notes and used a mix of thermo and MM100, everything else was roughly the same.  I also used a 5x multiplier.  Came out PERFECT on the first go.  Second one wasn't quite as good, but I was into full winter milk by then, so I'll probably wait till spring to make a lot more of it.

Thanks, Jeff, for all your research on this one.   :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »
No problem.  Would be interested in seeing some photos of your make and tasting notes.  I've got 200 HMCR so I might have to give it a go.

- Jeff