Author Topic: My 3rd Dunlop  (Read 6301 times)

anutcanfly

Re: My 3rd Dunlop
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »
Hi Jeff,

What temp and humidity was your dunlop aged at?

Anut  :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 06:25:02 PM »
Hi anut,

Temp is 10 C.  I don't know the humidity as I don't have any hygrometers.  I get a bit of condensation on the walls of the ripening boxes each morning, and wipe this down if it's enough to drip down the walls. 

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »
I finally got extra hygrometers so I could keep track of the cheeses in containers that are all over my house. I'm glad it did as my cave is too humid (90 to 95%) and the cheeses I put in there drop weight very slowly.  With a hygrometer I was able to keep my overweight gouda at 75% humidity by cracking the lid and within 3 weeks it had dropped a pound and developed a nice rind.  Which is good as I wanted to age it a year or so.  Without the hydrometer I would likely have cracked the rind trying to do that.   The unexpected bonus was that I never had to rub it with salt or vinegar.  Just a brushing now and then.  It will be too warm in the house for me to develop rinds and age cheeses soon, but it was sure nice while it lasted.

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:03 AM »
I should pick up some hygrometers, except things are generally working fairly well in that department so I've not had any pressure to pick one up.  But, given that I do like to know stuff like this, it would be fun to get a couple.  I'm keeping any eye out, so I'm sure I'll find one soon.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 02:59:38 AM »
I just got some of the cheap ones that only cost $12.  I calibrate them and write the adjustment needed on the top, ie +4 to displayed humidity.  I prefer the ones you can actually adjust, but they cost more. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »
Nice looking dunlop Jeff. A cheese for you!

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:42 PM »
Thanks DeejayDebi!  I was very pleased with the make and how this one was aging.  I'm planning on letting it sit around for some time to develop some nice flavours.  I've cut into them before around 6 to 8 weeks and it's nice, but I want to take it out a year or so.  I've got a lot of cheeses in hibernation right now.  Next year should be interesting.

- Jeff

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »
The rewards are huge for one who is patient!

Maybe I should put that in a fortune cookie! ;D

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »
Well, here's a blast from the past!  I noticed a few spots under the wax on this one, so yesterday I removed the wax and tended to it.  It's almost 2 years old now.  It had that fruity aroma I associate with waxed cheeses, which I think is something fermenting on the surface of the cheese.  It wasn't wet, like I've had if I wax too early, but in the photo you can see a "crust" that forms.  I scraped much of that off and will let it air out for a week or so in a ripening box with my week old Staffordshire.  When I left it out on the counter to air out yesterday, it cracked a bit (not surprising) so the box should help readjust to the outside world. 

Anyway, after a day, some scraping, etc it now weighs 972g, is 14.8 x 5.1 cm, and has a density of 1.11 g/cm3.  Overall, looks to be in good shape (the spots that needed tending are on the far side, but pure coincidence I assure you! :) ).  Once it's aired out and the fermenting aroma has cleared, it might be time to taste test it! :)

- Jeff

Spellogue

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »
A two year old dandy!

I'm giddy with anticipation as I await the cheese-cutting ceremony.  Do you have special plans for the event? 

Please be certain to give a full and detailed report of the tasting.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »
A cheese to you ;D (WOW 2 years) nuff said 8)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 12:11:01 AM »
It had that fruity aroma I associate with waxed cheeses, which I think is something fermenting on the surface of the cheese.
Yeah, I've had that. :P

Wow, 2 years! I'm anxious to hear what the flavour flavor (had to drop that "u" because my MS Word said I was misspelling the word.) and texture is like. Very curious.

Funny thing...I've got a piece of an Esrom that is two years old and it is still very much a treat. Vacuum-sealing does it right. :D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 03:11:41 AM »
Thanks all!  It's still a couple months short of 2 years, but close enough (Jan will be the 2nd birthday).  I'll do some resuscitation work on it, to bring it out of hibernation, then decide on what to do next.  This one was over a month old when I waxed it, so I'm not sure how much longer I have to age them to not have them still surface ferment.  I think I have to work on more moisture expellation during the make (stir more vigorously on those that are going on long sleeps). 

Oh Boofer, don't listen to MS word's spell checker.  Drops u's all the time, and thinks lite is a word!  Go figure.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 04:46:39 AM »
Cut this one today.  It's about 22 months old.  Weighs in at 956g, 14.7 x 5.0 cm, so 1.13 g/cm3.  Nice aged cheddar taste.  I can still detect a flavour that I associate with waxed cheeses, but nobody else has mentioned it.  The texture is quite nice, a bit crumbly, which I like.  I'm very pleased with the outcome, which is a good thing!  It's a long time to wait only to find out something went wrong!

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 05:30:33 AM »
Had some in a bacon and cheese toasted sandwich.  Melts nicely, and makes a really tasty treat!  Big thumbs up from the kids.  Very big smile on my face.

- Jeff