Author Topic: My first Gorgonzola...(and first mold ripened cheese for that matter)  (Read 8328 times)

iamgouda

Re: My first Gorgonzola...(and first mold ripened cheese for that matter)
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 02:04:54 PM »
Well, only one month to to...but I am getting concerned about the welfare of the cheese.
It it suddenly, over the past week or so, become very wet, and the holes are oozing liquid.
The blue mold hasn't returned, and the edges are quite soft. 
Should I just eat it now, before it gets any worse???  :-\

iamgouda

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
Finally...the moment of truth...
I opened the cheese yesterday....and was disappointed by the small amount of veining.
Then I tasted it...and it was very nice.  8)
It was just a little too salty for my preference, but had a good sharp flavor.
I am very pleased!!

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 05:34:50 PM »
A cheese for your first blue result!  Actually, it looks pretty good to me.  Not a huge marbled veining, but certainly enough to produce a good flavour by the sounds of it.  If it's too salty for you to eat pleasantly, then use it for cooking.  It will be perfect for that.

- Jeff

iamgouda

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 06:18:52 PM »
It will actually be up to my dad whether it gets used for cooking or plain eating...he asked me to make it, and I'm going to serve it for his birthday - tomorrow.  :)
I hope he likes it!

SarahV63

Hello. I have some orange mold like your cheese did at one phase of its development. You scraped it. What happened with that? Did it fix that issue? I tried to follow the post but I couldn't figure it out. Not great with computers.Thanks!  Sarah

iamgouda

Hello. I have some orange mold like your cheese did at one phase of its development. You scraped it. What happened with that? Did it fix that issue? I tried to follow the post but I couldn't figure it out. Not great with computers.Thanks!  Sarah

Scraping it didn't remove the orange smeary stuff...it just reduced it slightly.  The orange stuff didn't seem to be an issue.  It smells gross, but tastes wonderful!

SarahV63

Scraping it didn't remove the orange smeary stuff...it just reduced it slightly.  The orange stuff didn't seem to be an issue.  It smells gross, but tastes wonderful!

I will try that. Someone told me to throw it away but I'm reluctant to do that...

Hey, we're practically neighbors. I live on Keuka Lake in the Finger Lakes...

Tomer1

I had a simmilar issue with a G.D , It grew the most aweful meaty smelling pink slimy yeast on the rind. (likely RH was too high and I didnt catch it early enough).   

SarahV63

It looks like the progress of the orange mold has stopped. I am alternating days with a little bowl of water. Also, the orange growth doesn't have any noticeable odor and its not slimy - YET! Keeping my fingers crossed... Thanks!

iamgouda

Practically neighbors... ;D   That is true.  There don't seem to be many cheesemakers in my area...

Ah, yes another thing I did was reduce humidity.  It became slightly less slimy, but didn't remove the orange stuff altogether.