Author Topic: Storing Cheese - Store bought, Homemade?  (Read 3103 times)

jbrun85

Storing Cheese - Store bought, Homemade?
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
Hey Guys,

Although I love cheese, I'm fairly new at all of this. I have a couple questions about storing cheese properly.

1) I went out to Whole Foods last night and bought some Jarlsberg, Havarti, and some type of cheddar. Should I store these in my regular refrigerator or would they be best stored in my 'cheese cave' (mini fridge - 46-50 degrees)?

2) When I cut into a homemade cheese, should it remain in the cave area? Should it move to the regular fridge? Will it continue to age? Should I wrap it in cling film?

3) I made a 1.5lb Colby Cheese as my first. Would it be possible to cut it in half after 2 months and use some, and then rewax it for the next 2 months? I'd like to see the difference in flavor, and also have enough to make it useable.

Thanks!

mightyjesse

Re: Storing Cheese - Store bought, Homemade?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 07:48:21 PM »
1. You can do either. I eat store bought cheese so fast that I don't usually bother to cave it. The warmer temperatures of the cave are designed to let the flavor develop faster. Cooler temperatures slow flavor development, but that shouldn't be an issue in a "store bought" cheese... except if you like your brie runny, but you can even do that in a normal fridge if you leave it long enough.
2. The cave temperature allows the cheese to keep maturing at a faster rate than the colder temps. It'll still mature in the regular fridge, but more slowly. You can wrap the cheese if you don't like a rind to form on the cut portion. Your normal fridge is likely not humidity controlled like your cave, so I'd wrap anything in the normal fridge and leave it open in the cave.
3. YES. We do this all the time.  8)

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »
I agree with Jesse on all points.

For #2, I'd add that it depends on the variety of cheese.  With Lancashire, for instance, I vacuum seal it after I cut it and then keep it in my regular fridge with the intention of slowing down it's maturation.  Lanc can get sharp and even bitter pretty quickly because of it's high moisture content.  It's meant to be eaten young, but by using my regular fridge and vacuum sealing it, I'm able to extend it's life by a couple of months. 

jbrun85

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »
Thanks! Very Helpful!