Author Topic: what happened to my gbenjet cheese  (Read 4454 times)

keezawitch

what happened to my gbenjet cheese
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:44:55 AM »
I am new to cheesemaking and I have a nice little saanen that i milk, my question is what happened to my gbenjet cheese I have made this before without any prob but this time after i added the rennet and popped it in warm oven to curdle the curd turned turned into a mozarella type lump in the bottom of pot, Tastes ok I have drained it cut it in four pieces and popped it in brine overnight to see how it goes, what do you think happened?

margaretsmall

Re: what happened to my gbenjet cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »
Welcome. What is gbenjet cheese? Could you give us more details of how you make it?

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »
Your milk was too acidic at the time of rennet addition, likely bordering on pH 5.9 or lower. Ripen less, use fresher milk, or less culture.

keezawitch

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:14:26 PM »
Welcome. What is gbenjet cheese? Could you give us more details of how you make it?

The spelling isnt correct, it is a small maltese cheese made with goat milk(unpasturised) and yogurt, you warm the milk and yoghurt to 40 deg cel sit for 45min in warm place add rennet sit for 70min cut sit 30min drain 12hrs in small moulds then pop in brine for couple of hours drain and either eat as it is , roll it in pepper or herbs or leave to harden in fridge goes like parsmasen cheese.

dthelmers

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:42:41 PM »
Gbejna. John has referenced some threads and recipes here:http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1798.msg13593.html#msg13593
including a soup and a ravioli recipe.

keezawitch

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 02:00:03 AM »
Your milk was too acidic at the time of rennet addition, likely bordering on pH 5.9 or lower. Ripen less, use fresher milk, or less culture.

thanks, well milk couldnt have been fresher I used it as soon as i had milked my goat, maybe the homemade yogurt was too acidic and i was heavy handed in adding it. The good news is I drained it cut it in four and put it in a brine overnight, just tasted it and it has a lovely firm texture, and tastes great, maybe similiar to a mild cheddar,  i like it so might make this mistake again. Do you think the oven temp had anything to do with it, I think it was a bit hotter than the last batch which turned out perfect. Hard to get the oven at a low enough temp constantly.

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 02:18:34 AM »
Yep, extra yogurt, hotter temp all contribute to more/faster acidity. If the milk was fresh, then it's the culture. doesn't take long to overacidify, and then curd will be stretchy.

keezawitch

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:44:45 AM »
thanks, i will be more careful and less heavy handed when i want to do the little maltese cheeses, i am also writing down what i did this time because the cheese that i made has turned out great(its seems so hard not to get something edible) we just had it on homemade pizza used it like moz and the family gave it the tick, so it has turned into a happy accident.

annmariero

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »
I am brand new to making cheese only because I cannot find gbejniet cheese with out selling a kidney to buy it. My first attempt was really bad, does anyone have a recipe?

bbracken677

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »