Author Topic: Back for more torture  (Read 2020 times)

sor

Back for more torture
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:25:38 AM »
Hey all,
   A few years back I decided to get into cheesemaking. It didn't go so well! I was ok at mozzarella and cream cheese, but  none of the hard cheeses turned out.  I tried a Jack recipe, a cheddar recipe, a swiss, and a parmesan. Both the jack and the cheddar had chalky, crumbly curd and were sharp and bitter. The swiss was soft like it should be, and actually tasted ok,  but was a bit rubbery and didn't melt at all (this was the most successful), and the parmesan, after two years of aging, seemed way too hard, not at all crumbly but more like solid plastic, and while it had the right aroma, the finely shredded product didn't taste like much at all! Kind of like it was all rind. 

At any rate, it's been about three years, and I think I'll give it another go. I've still got a wine refrigerator and a dutch press I built, a cylindrical mold, and I recently purchased a sous vide termostat that I intend to use with my countertop roaster as a water bath.  I really am good at following directions to the "T", but many of the recipes I was following had sort of vague instructions that require experience to understand.  I'm excited to have found this forum, because I can read about what other people are doing and hopefully avoid some of the problems I had last time.

Cloversmilker

Re: Back for more torture
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:33:12 AM »
Welcome back to cheesemaking.  I returned to cheesemaking this summer after a several year hiatus.  I discovered this forum soon after.  It has been very helpful. 

Ummmmm, I too have an ancient 'parmesan' whose paste is quite brittle.  Too hard to grate.  :-\  Parmesan is a challenge to make at home. 

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »
Sor -welcome back to the cheese making fraternity. we have our chese making hats on so what is on your plate first?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »
Yeow! Torture? Sorry, sor.

Take a deep breath...let it out...and while you do...speak this softly and slowly...Cheeeeessss. Smile.  :)
Okay, that's the end of this session. Same time tomorrow?

Sor, ask questions, use the search function. There's lots of information and guidance on this forum.

Welcome to the forum.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

sor

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »
Sor -welcome back to the cheese making fraternity. we have our chese making hats on so what is on your plate first?

I was thinking about Velveeta... just kidding!  I think I want to do something that can be waxed, just to make aging a bit easier.  Probably Colby?

zenith1

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »
Sor you are correct about a lot of the recipes floating around out there. So you have a good book to use as a starting reference. Have you looked at 200 Easy Homemade Cheeses? For me it was one of the better(certainly not the only one) books for a good reference point. You can use a good book as a jumping off point and fill in the holes from information you can get here in the forum. As far as a cheese that you can wax  Gouda/Edam/Cheddar are but a few that have been traditionally waxed, and that is all it's about when it comes to waxing-tradition. It was a way to preserve cheese when they had no other way. Today with refrigeration, and vacuum devices we have other options as well as wax. There is something about that wax on a wheel though..I don't usually wax any of mine, I did when I first started but found it not to be worth the effort for my own personal taste. Why are you looking for only a cheese that is waxed? I think someplace you posted that you have a way to age your wheels so don't limit yourself to only those types. Make cheese that you enjoy eating...

sor

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »
As far as a cheese that you can wax  Gouda/Edam/Cheddar are but a few that have been traditionally waxed, and that is all it's about when it comes to waxing-tradition. It was a way to preserve cheese when they had no other way. Today with refrigeration, and vacuum devices we have other options as well as wax. There is something about that wax on a wheel though..I don't usually wax any of mine, I did when I first started but found it not to be worth the effort for my own personal taste. Why are you looking for only a cheese that is waxed? I think someplace you posted that you have a way to age your wheels so don't limit yourself to only those types. Make cheese that you enjoy eating...

I'm under the impression that waxing takes humidity out of the aging equation. I still have to use my existing equipment to keep it at the proper temperature. Humidity seems like a tricky thing, and I don't have any apparatus that automates a set humidity yet. Besides, I enjoy Colby, Cheddar, and the rest!

zenith1

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 12:30:07 AM »
Correct Sor-once waxed(or bagged) humidity is no longer an issue. You just have to make sure that the wheel is dried enough so you don't run into the problem associated with that(molds/sour or off flavors etc).

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »
You can also use a ripening container - a plastic container with a lid you can crack open for air exchange - to help maintain humidity.  You'll need a grid of some sort in the bottom to keep the cheese from sitting in any moisture that might accumulate.

I really like the thin, almost soft-leather, rind that forms on cheeses started in a ripening container.

zenith1

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »
true, true, Karen. good point.