Author Topic: My Quest...Tilsit...The Third!  (Read 6734 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
My Quest...Tilsit...The Third!
« on: January 27, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »
And so it goes....

While a lonely, unpublished Tilsit #2 sits in the cave and challenges me with blues, as I try to bring forth the orange (linens), I press on into the void with a challenger to its throne.

Attempting to follow the recipe published by Danisco for Tilsit, I purchased a new culture to try to capture the essence of an authentic Tilsit cheese. Looking at the Alp D pdf, it's quite a mix. Then combining all that with the PLA...this should be an interesting cheese.

4 gallons of cream line milk
1/4 tsp Choozit Alp D
1/8 tsp Choozit PLA
1/2 tsp CACL diluted with cool distilled water
1/16 tsp Renco dry calf rennet, dissolved in cool distilled water

Checked milk at start: pH 7.05 @ 55F

5:20AM Heated milk to 88F.

6:15AM Added cultures, waited 5 minutes to rehydrate, stirred in.

6:50AM pH 6.87 @ 87.4F

7:50AM pH 6.85 @ 88.7F (virtually no change)

9:50AM pH 6.77 @ 88.4F

10:30AM pH 6.61 @ 88F (looking for pH 6.50 to add rennet)

Don't blink!

10:48AM pH 6.48 @ 88F (hey, wait a minute!)   Added CACL and rennet

10:59AM Floc'd in 11 minutes; using 3.5x factor, that gives me a time to cut in 38 minutes

11:35AM pH 6.12 @ 85.1F   Cut the curds, rested 5 minutes, stirred

Whisked curds gently to pea size.

Began cooking curds.
Removed 1 gallon of whey to use for brine.
Added, in increments, 1 gallon of 130F water, stirring, to bring curds up to 100F.

12:10PM pH 6.00 @ 99F (I had expected that the addition of the water would bring the pH up, but that was not the case.)

After washing and cooking curds for 30 minutes, and testing for curd friability & cohesiveness, I drained the curds and hand-pressed them into the Plyban-lined brick mold. I placed the cutting-board follower on top of the lined curd mass. I emptied out the cooking pot and placed the curds and mold into the pot. I haven't quite figured out the missing piece that would elevate the whole shebang so that the whey can drain more effectively. I tried a piece of plastic grid material with my Esrom #2 and was rewarded with an alligator skin effect after pressing.

12:45PM pH 5.46 in whey at first pressing in pot using 10 lb weight

1:15PM Flipped, rewrapped, pressing in pot using 10 lb weight

2:00PM Flipped, unwrapped Plyban, going naked, pressing in pot using 10 lb weight

5:00PM Removed from mold, into the whey-brine for 7 hours (really flexible before brining and quite rigid after)

12:00AM Flipped, back into the whey-brine for another 7 hours (14 hours total; recipe calls for a lot longer)

1/27/12
7:00AM Out of whey-brine and into minicave to air-dry at room temperature

Trying to maintain control over the pH drops was a little disconcerting in this make. Nothing happening for hours...and then - BAM! - over the cliff! Seems like if I use Alp D again, I will try to anticipate its sudden decision to jump into oblivion and do everything earlier. Rennet would be added earlier, curds cut earlier...everything done more aggressively.

Then again, I promised myself that 2012 would be my indoctrination into mother culture use. That will change everything too. I didn't get a lot of culture in that Alp D bag.  :(

It would appear that Tilsit can be a wheel or a brick. My Tilsit #2 is the former, while #3 is the latter. Two totally different interpretations of the style.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

Re: My Quest...Tilsit...The Third!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »
Crossing my fingers and toes for you!  ;)

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »
Sounds like this one kept you hopping during the make!  Hopefully it will be more predictable during aging.  You'll nail this cheese yet.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:37:11 AM »
Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, it was indeed a challenge. Hopefully, the few items seemingly under my control will produce an edible, memorable cheese in the end.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:00:29 AM »
The care and feeding of this latest is pure love. So nice. Gotta love the brick.  :D

I believe the rind is being protected by the Geo. So far, no foreign incursions. There is a slight whitish bloom appearing. At this point, I have been merely misting with 3% brine & SR3.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 03:11:00 AM »
That is looking very nice Boofer.  Well done.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:33:25 AM »
Thanks, Jeff. Just trying to figure it all out.

Leiden is scheduled for early tomorrow morning. We'll see what adding things to the cheese does. I boiled some cumin seeds this afternoon. Hopefully they'll rehydrate and soften up by tomorrow. That will probably put me in a holding pattern for a while with four cheeses to tend to. But the wife's away for a few days so I make cheese.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
Wishing for a memorable cheese may not be the best idea!  :o

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Wishing for a memorable cheese may not be the best idea!  :o
Naysayer!  :)

Hey, it's bound to memorable whether it's positive or negative. For me, I'm breaking new ground.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 06:55:07 PM »
Agreed! If you're not producing memorable cheeses, you're not learning anything! For me, learning is 1/2 the fun... eating is the other half!   :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »
I picked up the brick this morning, rubbed it a little, and decided it was time to seal it up. The rind was dry and had a powdery white growth still covering it. Pressing the rind a bit showed that it was still very pliable and firm but not soft.

A month from now I'll see how it looks. Probably looking for 2-3 months as a target.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »
Interesting development observed over the past week....

Apparently, the brick has developed a little gas. I hope it doesn't go much further than what I'm seeing now. There is no moisture in the bag. The cheese is pliable. There is still the slight white powdery appearance to the rind (no doubt the Geo from the PLA). Except for the slight swelling, the cheese seems to be on track.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »
Hi Boofer,

That's interesting.  Looks like you bagged after just over 2 weeks, then a few weeks later you had some swelling.  Despite the difference in the cheese, that's similiar to what happened with my cheddar (although I waxed it after only 5 days it seemed quite dry and ready to go).  I removed it from the wax and put it back in the ripening box for around 11 days.  The swelling dissipated fairly quickly and the cheese smelled just fine.  So then I re-waxed it and it's been good as gold ever since.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »
Is it normal for cheeses to give off some sort of gas (co2) initially?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 12:35:32 AM »
Boofer looks great! On those stainless molds I set them on two spaghetti spoons (wood spoons so they don't roll but dowels work) to drain and it works well. I love the character the little dipples add to the cheeses but I know some of you don't like it. Was it you or Likespace that was shaving the bumps off the Tome mold? The plyban does keep them to a minimum but still very pretty I think.

As for the recipes ... Dansco's is much better than the 200 Recipes book. I haven't been impressed with the recipes "as is" from the 200 Cheese Recipes Book I have tried but it gives a starting point I guess. Thankfully we have Linixboy, Francous, Sailor and a few other to fill in the gaps.