Author Topic: My Quest...Tilsit...The Third!  (Read 6730 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My Quest...Tilsit...The Third!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »
Boofer looks great! On those stainless molds I set them on two spaghetti spoons (wood spoons so they don't roll but dowels work) to drain and it works well. I love the character the little dipples add to the cheeses but I know some of you don't like it. Was it you or Likespace that was shaving the bumps off the Tome mold? The plyban does keep them to a minimum but still very pretty I think.

As for the recipes ... Dansco's is much better than the 200 Recipes book. I haven't been impressed with the recipes "as is" from the 200 Cheese Recipes Book I have tried but it gives a starting point I guess. Thankfully we have Linixboy, Francous, Sailor and a few other to fill in the gaps.
I have been known to shave off nubbins from some wheels. Since then I have learned that washing and rubbing takes care of most of them anyway...and they disappear. The bumps appeared on the brick because I removed the Plyban and lightly pressed naked. At first I wasn't so sure about the effect. I have grown fond of the effect and may actually try to implement it as a finishing element in my bricked cheeses (not Brick cheese). It adds character.

I removed it from the wax and put it back in the ripening box for around 11 days.  The swelling dissipated fairly quickly and the cheese smelled just fine.  So then I re-waxed it and it's been good as gold ever since.
I might have to follow a similar procedure. I've had this happen to Goutaler cheeses in the past. You would anticipate some swelling in them though. This...I'm not so sure.

Is it normal for cheeses to give off some sort of gas (co2) initially?
A lot depends on the cultures involved. The Goutaler style (Jarlsberg, Leerdamer), Emmental, Baby Swiss, etc. all involve PS (Propionibacterium shermanii) which you want to produce gas.  I didn't add PS to this cheese. I'm no gas expert. The production of gas in this brick actually comes as a surprise to me. I checked the Alp D and PLA makeup. I didn't see anything like LM (Leuconostoc mesenteroides) which would cause a lot of gas. It all seemed benign.

One of the big mysteries will be uncloaked when this cheese is cut open. I don't expect that to be too much further down the road.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anarch

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »
Looks interesting, the gas swelling.  Keep updating as it increases/decreases.

I also kind of like the little bumpy nubbins.

Like JeffHamm, I've also had similar happen to waxed cheddars, in fact I have 2 cheddars and 1 monterey jack right now that I've un-waxed and have done a salt wash on the outside of, letting them get a nice rind.  I plan on vac sealing them tonight and letting them age longer. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »
Surprisingly, the bubble has disappeared. Frequent turning of the cheese has encouraged it and the gas to become more integrated with the paste. It's back to being a relatively flat brick again. Very nice.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 09:40:21 PM »
That is good. Now we just wait ...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 05:28:52 AM »
My targeted time to cut was May Day, but I figured this was close enough.

There was a little moistness/smeariness in the bag. The cheese slices well. The texture is not ideally what I was looking for and shows a little chalkiness. Salt level is good. Eaten fresh or melted, the flavor is very tasty and complex. Would make a good sandwich cheese too. I'd like to repeat this cheese style and tweak in the texture for a more elastic character.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 07:17:25 AM »
That looks very nice Boofer!  Sounds like you're almost where you want it to be too.  A bit on the texture front and you'll have it bang on.  Well done.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 03:21:40 PM »
Yummy!  That would go nicely with my coffee this morning!  :P

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »
Dang Boofer now I gottuh go get breakfast looks excelent :P
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 08:14:18 PM »
Boofer that looks great! This actually looks creamier than the commercial cheese I bought and tried. A cheese for you my friend!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Now I'm wondering how long I can age this out and what that will do to the texture & flavor. Time will tell.

Movin' on....  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!